The historic town of Georgetown


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Georgetown
January 15th 2014
Published: January 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our first stop after passing the boring part of I-70 was Georgetown at exit 228. Georgetown in the modern days is a little quaint tourist town with crafts stores, convenient shops, family restaurants, and cafes. Many people visit this town to go back in time to the middle of 19th century. At the beginning, there were just miners’ hives filling the area. Then, it became one of the largest silver mining districts in the state. As the population grew, Victorian structures sprang up in the valley.

The streets are narrow and leafy. Some neglected once-beauty Victorian homes give the ghostly feel to this town. Antique store signs, hanged flowers, eclectic gables, rustic wooden barrels and horse carts, and layers of dust and spider webs give the wild-wild west ambience. Tourists flock to this town to enjoy friendly chat with the locals and store owners, passing time on the benches along the main business ambrosial street. It was just another relaxing late-summer day in a historic cowboy-mining town. Just outside the town center, abandoned mines and rusted archaic equipments are relics; reminders of the good, the bad, and the ugly of the past...

-Andreas.D

Driving-Vacation

More complete story, visit: DV-Story at Colorado
More pictures, visit: DV-Colorado Pictures
Interactive Maps, visit: DV- Colorado Trip

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb