West Elk Loop, Oh What a Drive


Advertisement
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Colorful flowers blaze in a bright morning sun while hummingbirds flit around the deck as we enjoy a breakfast of Southwestern eggs benedict at Leroux Creek Inn. It’s hard to tear away from the beautiful scene to start the drive to Ouray, Colorado and the next part of our adventure.

Since we have all day to make the short drive, Alan and I explore the portion of West Elk Loop that travels from Somerset to Crested Butte before rejoining the highway that continues through Gunnison, Montrose and eventually Ouray.

First, the journey takes us beside the organic farms in Hotchkiss and then Paonia. Before Somerset, the road begins to climb, winding through Colorado mining country. When the West Elk Loop turns toward Crested Butte, it leaves the pavement, becoming a wide dirt road that is easily accessible for most cars. This road remains closed in the winter.

Soon, we’re rising in elevation. At Erickson Springs, Alan stops the car so that we can photograph the swift-moving river. As the road continues towards another pass, we’re rewarded with thick, green vegetation bordered by mountains where snow continues to linger. Farther into the wilderness, a thick forest of aspens sends ghostly white tree trunks reaching toward the sky.

“Can you imagine what this must look like in the fall, when the leaves have turned?” I ask.

Alan replies, “Let’s plan a trip back here. Do we have time for it in late September?”

We discuss the possibilities as the road nears Crested Butte.

“When we come back, let’s explore this turn-off to Lake Irwin,” Alan says.

At Crested Butte, the western ski town charms us. It feels more like a rough and tumble town than a resort location.

As we near Ouray, reality sets in. No there won’t be time in September to see the Aspen leaves in all their glory. We’ll pencil it in for 2009.

To read more about baby boomer travel, visit My Itchy Travel Feet .



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



18th July 2008

montain
mmm beautiful view, i like the montain

Tot: 0.39s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 24; qc: 141; dbt: 0.1481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb