Boulder to North Dakota


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Boulder
November 3rd 2006
Published: November 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The ROOST!The ROOST!The ROOST!

This is the late night Roost bus. The Roost is Vail's most affordable lodging. At the Roost, you aren't paying for floorspace. The rooms are small but it's a great place to stay.

Boulder to Ft Collins to Northwood, ND





We visited Mike in Boulder on Saturday and watched some football games with him and his friends. After that, we went to Fort Collins to stay with the Sagstad family - Heidi and Eivind and Bjorn - for two nights. We did some shopping, had an accordion show, played playdough, and hung out at their new house. Bjorn has some fun games and songs that he's made up, so we played those with him.

From Fort Collins we drove to North Dakota, stopping along the way at the World's only Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. Nothing other than hunting was going on in SD.

We arrived in ND on Tuesday and left on Wednesday for Duluth. In Duluth we visited Kenrea and Mike, classmates of mine from NDSU. We took my nephew Avery along to Duluth to see the ships on Lake Superior. We saw several ships and went to the aquarium. It was a fun little trip.

Now we are at my parents' house, which is the final destination of the tour. My dad's 60th birthday party is tonight, so we are having a 60's theme party.
BBQ at Mike's in Boulder BBQ at Mike's in Boulder BBQ at Mike's in Boulder

Mike lived in Portland for about 6 years before he moved to Boulder.
We will be leaving on Sunday to drive back to Vancouver/Portland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Costumes at Mike'sCostumes at Mike's
Costumes at Mike's

Sarah, Tom, Mike, Mitsu, Matt, and me. My costume is "person who doesn't wear hair in ponytail."
Accordion ShowAccordion Show
Accordion Show

Eivind and me trying to play along with Bjorn while he sings his made up song "Bernius, Bernius." It doesn't have any other words and the tune repeats fairly often, so we picked it up pretty well.
Smorgasbord at Heidi'sSmorgasbord at Heidi's
Smorgasbord at Heidi's

Heidi set up this nice little lunch for us with meat, cheese, jam, coffee, bread and fruit. Just like in Norway!
Tea FactoryTea Factory
Tea Factory

We toured the Celestial Seasons Tea Factory in Boulder, CO. The factory smelled really good and we got to keep the hats.
Mitchell, SD Corn PalaceMitchell, SD Corn Palace
Mitchell, SD Corn Palace

Dana outside the corn palace. The facade of the building is redecorated every year with corn murals. The corn palace started in 1892 and has been decorated every year since.
Inside the Corn PalaceInside the Corn Palace
Inside the Corn Palace

The inside of the corn palace is, strangely, a basketball court. The retired outside murals cover the walls inside the corn palace, which is also strange.
Same bull, new town! Same bull, new town!
Same bull, new town!

We saw the same bull in Colorado and now in South Dakota.
SpidermanSpiderman
Spiderman

Ander Thorsgard as Spiderman.
Kenrea'sKenrea's
Kenrea's

Kenrea, Mike, Libby, Dana, Erin. Kenrea and Mike are NDSU classmates of mine. Picture taken by Avery.
William Irvin, DuluthWilliam Irvin, Duluth
William Irvin, Duluth

This is an old Great Lakes cargo ship that carried iron and coal from 1938 to 1978. It is open for tours.
Snake in DuluthSnake in Duluth
Snake in Duluth

This is a snake that lives at the Duluth Aqaurium. They also have a bald eagle, so it's a pretty liberal aquarium.
DuluthDuluth
Duluth

Dana, Kenrea, and Avery in Duluth
Duluth Aerial BridgeDuluth Aerial Bridge
Duluth Aerial Bridge

Aerial bridge going up, Duluth Canal Park.
Avery in DuluthAvery in Duluth
Avery in Duluth

The grain and coal terminals are in the background.


Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb