CHRISTMAS 2012


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Boulder
December 20th 2012
Published: December 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Daniel and ErikaDaniel and ErikaDaniel and Erika

Scooting around their new house.
2012 found the Humkes away from Boulder over 60 percent of the year. You would think that we did not love this great town. However, happy events and sad ones kept us on the road for some part of every month. The great happy news was the birth of our granddaughter Lorelai Pearl (Lola) in May and the sad news was the passing of John’s Mom, age 97, in September. Along the way we had two nice visits with Erika and Daniel, now 7, in Austin, an extended stay of almost two months in Wisconsin, two trips to DC for quality Lola time (and also to say hi to Megan and Matt), various fishing and hunting trips, plus wonderful trips to Cuba, the US southwest, and South Africa with extensions to Swaziland, Zimbabwe, and England. We reported on these last major trips in our travel blogs.



Highlights of all these adventures include:

Watching Lola wakeup, see us, and get a great big smile on her face!

Having Daniel take us on his favorite adventure hike in his neighborhood.

Being with Edith as she walked on – something she had desired for some time.

Being
Lola Flying HighLola Flying HighLola Flying High

Vacation in Chili
with family as we spread John’s cousin Diane’s ashes at the Land.

Hanging out at Lake Havasu for a week with fine friends.

Filling the freezer with antelope and an elk.

Enjoying a hidden restaurant in Old Havana with new friends.

Surviving a stare-down with a few hundred cape buffalo while walking in Kruger NP.

Standing in awe of Victoria Falls.

Listening to a friend’s Hawaiian band at the Ho-Hum (Hoey-Humke) family reunion.

Re-visiting English friends at Lorkin Farm in Kent.

Having a visit, we were actually in Boulder for this, from the Wisconsin Kandutschs.

Eating blue crabs with Steve Hamblin on Chesapeake Bay.

Spending Labor Day in Northern Wisconsin with the Guts.

Staying with the Minichs and lunch with the Mulrooneys in Virginia.

Campaigning for President Obama.

What will 2013 bring? We hope visits from friends, more peace in the world, America as a safer place for kids, and love/love/love. We know it will take us to Austin, DC and Wisconsin plus Italy and Holland.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Mary and John


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Old Havana, CubaOld Havana, Cuba
Old Havana, Cuba

New Friends
Mary on the TrailMary on the Trail
Mary on the Trail

Hiking to the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa
Ho-Hum ReunionHo-Hum Reunion
Ho-Hum Reunion

Great fun at Grand Lake Lodge, Colorado
Chesapeke BayChesapeke Bay
Chesapeke Bay

Blue Crabs with Steve Hamlin


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb