Along the Old Spanish Trail - San Luis Valley, Colorado


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Alamosa
May 1st 2009
Published: May 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mount BlancaMount BlancaMount Blanca

Mount Blanca is the highest peak in the San Luis Valley at 14,345 feet. It was and is sacred to many Native American tribes. To travelers today, it looks much as it did to those traveling during the Old Spanish Trail period (1829 - 1848). It is just one of the beautiful and interesting sites to be seen as you "Travel the Trail".
The Old Spanish Trail (OST) was used to transport woolen textiles from Santa Fe, NM to Los Angeles, CA from 1829 - 1848. In LA, the products were traded for mules, horses & other goods & returned back to New Mexico.

The trail had three branches. A portion of the North Branch of the OST went through the San Luis Valley (SLV) of southern Colorado. Spanning 8,000 square miles, the Valley rises from an altitude of 7,600 feet, in the valley floor, to 14,345 at the tallest peak. Along the OST in the Valley, there is much for the traveler to do & see, including much history, a 1.86 million acre National Forest, 3 National Wildlife refuges, a National Park, the oldest town in Colorado, hiking, rock climbing, wildlife viewing, or relaxing.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb