Sightseeing


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
October 25th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Foresthill BridgeForesthill BridgeForesthill Bridge

Built in the 1970s as part of a plan to dam the North Fork of the American River. At 730' high it's the fourth-highest bridge in the USA. Geotechnical issues and environmentalists succeeded in stopping the project and the early works on the downstream dam foundations remain abandoned. The impounded dam waters were intended to reach near the bottom of the cantilevered steel deck structure.
Geo: 39.0124, -120.839

Spent Monday and Tuesday unhurriedly getting acquainted with the Foresthill/Auburn/Sacramento areas.

We enjoyed the views at Worton's Market, on the way to the village of Foresthill where we ordered pizzas for Tuesday's dinner.

Wed we played golf at Winchester Country Club, a tough Robert Trent Jones course. The US handicapping system is very similar to ours - neutral slope is 113, 95% of best 10 of 20, etc. In the evening Jo's sister Connie came over for a jointly prepared BBQ dinner.

Thu was raining so we had a quiet day at home. Robyn's cousin Diana and Cathy joined us for dinner in Auburn at the Carpe Vino restaurant. Very nice.

Fri Dwayne drove us to Sacramento Airport in rainy weather. Erin will pick us up at LAX around lunch time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Auburn's StatuesAuburn's Statues
Auburn's Statues

This heroic sculpture is one in a set of four Native American figures that is a source of continuing controversy and wry amusement in Auburn.
California State Railway MuseumCalifornia State Railway Museum
California State Railway Museum

This excellent museum told the story of the building of the Transcontinental Railroad, and touched on its connection with the origins of the Civil War. In 1848 gold was discovered in Sacramento, starting the California gold rush. The railroad was completed in 1869. 30-year government bonds were sold to finance the project and the Central Pacific Railroad Company was granted land on either side of the track. The bonds were repaid in full and the railroad became a vitally important piece of national infrastructure.
Humming BirdsHumming Birds
Humming Birds

The humming birds are amazing. The come in brown and green and males have a pretty red throat. They hover and dart about incessantly. When you stand beside the feeder they return in just a minute or two and their beating wings make a loud buzzing sound. The birds will empty this feeder in a few hours!
Dinner preparationsDinner preparations
Dinner preparations

Jo's expression corresponds to the consistency of the cookie dough she was mixing. It tasted fine!


27th October 2016

Hello Dwayne and Jo. Richard and Kerrie (Sticky Rice)
27th October 2016

I cannot imagine that image at your Grange surgery.....
1st November 2016

How beautiful, I do applaud such works and for generations to share and marvel and enjoy
1st November 2016

They are so,lovely and very small too if I recall my education through Attenborough

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb