The Giants of the Californian Coast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
October 2nd 2013
Published: October 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

RedwoodsRedwoodsRedwoods

California
September 29, 2013



Breakfast the next morning was very nice (breakfast and the weather – my consistent topics of conversation!). The boys got to make waffles again. A firm favourite with them (and me!) now. Today we made our way slowly down to Eureka on the north coast of California through the many Redwood Forests. The spectacular huge trees that dominate this coast line. Despite another day of rain this one proved to be quite beautiful and impressive. In fact, despite a particularly soggy first walk round one trail, the forests were more dramatic and actually more colourful in the rain (and frankly these things are so big they block out the sun anyway!).

The redwoods are the tallest living things on earth; some growing to over 106 metres (350 ft) and many are over 2000 years old.

John Steinbeck wrote about the redwoods, “The redwoods, once seen, leave a mark or create a vision that stays with you always. No one has ever successfully painted or photographed a redwood tree. The feeling they produce is not transferable. From them comes silence and awe. It’s not only their unbelievable stature, nor the color which seems to
RedwoodsRedwoodsRedwoods

California
shift and vary under your eyes, no, they are not like any trees we know, they are ambassadors from another time.”

We meandered deep into the forests, enjoying the rich smell and colours and sheer majesty of the trees. So tall you have to tip your head as far back as it will go, just to see the top and so wide you could hide several people behind one!

Our sightseeing included imaginatively named “Big Tree” in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, standing at 92.6m and a circumference of nearly 21 metres! Along the way we also spotted many splendid, elegant Roosevelt Elk.

From the trees to the sea where we experienced a bit of the north Californian coast in the wind and rain, which is a wonderful way to experience a rocky, windswept coastline.

Our stop for the night was another Best Western, this one in the nondescript ocean side town of Eureka (Bayshore Inn) and again very good. Another outdoor/ part indoor pool, which we made good use of before bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Roosevelt ElksRoosevelt Elks
Roosevelt Elks

Northern California
RedwoodsRedwoods
Redwoods

California
RedwoodsRedwoods
Redwoods

California
RedwoodsRedwoods
Redwoods

California
Roosevelt ElkRoosevelt Elk
Roosevelt Elk

California
Big Tree!!Big Tree!!
Big Tree!!

Imagination of the Californian Signwriter knows no bounds!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb