HEADING SOUTH


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
February 3rd 2011
Published: February 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We left Washington January 24 and have been working our way down South. We had a beautiful drive thru the mountains in Oregon and Northern California. The temps reached 70 near Lake Shasta. A night in Portland with cousins and one in Sonoma and then the weekend with Ben and Jennifer in San Francisco. We then headed South along the Coast. Two nights in Monterey where we did the 17 mile drive thru Pebble Beach and Spy Glass, did Carmel, Cannery Row, and the Monterey Wharf.
We left there and continued along the coast to Big Sur and the beaches of Central California. What majestic views everywhere along the way. We couldn't stop often enough to admire the view and take pictures. On a beach near San Clemente we came across a colony of Elephant Seals. They are enormous. The males up to 5,000 lbs and the females 1,800 lbs. The boys had a definite advantage. They come ashore to give birth, nurse and then mate again. They were very vocal and active. Imagine a 5,000 lb slug scampering across the sand! They look like Jabba the Hut and move faster than you think.
We spent a day in Solvang, a Danish Community near Santa Barbara. The town was quaint and full of shops and pancake restaurants. This is also a great wine producing area and we did a little wine tasting.
All along the way, we have seen signs pointing to the California Missions. We stopped to see a few but have decided to add this to our bucket list. One day we will visit all 21, perhaps by motorcycle on another tour of this beautiful state.
Now we are in Los Angeles, where we are staying with friends and catching up with more family and friends in the area.
A shout out to our friends in Chicago. Hope you all survived the "storm of the ages" and will soon be all dug out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



3rd February 2011

Great photos and update on your marvelous journey.
3rd February 2011

To My Favorite couple
Hi Marco & Mrs. Polo; This part of your trip awakens memories for Alice and me. We made that journey from northern CA to LA many years ago. Oh how I envy you both as I look over this snow that we just had. Front yard has a mountain of 10 feet of snow to look at, as I remember Montery Penninsula and playing Pepple Beach. The drive down the coast was something we will never forget. Beautiful...Beautiful...Beautiful...Please continue to travel safely. We want you back. Ken & Alice Bower
3rd February 2011

admire!!
3rd February 2011

it looks like you are having a great time. Lee and I are in Savannah and I am taking up golf, no snow here, glad you are out of the snow, Lee is very happy here without the snow, last year we had 82 inches, he said no more winters. Let us know where you settle, Patrick, Bridgette and Braegen are in SF. We will be out there this year some time. Keep in touch, thanks for the blogs, they are fun to read. Georgie
4th February 2011

Sound like fun, we are on our way to Fla next week ,Steve go 24 inches in Arlington Hts. We made a good move Be safe Love Chuck and Judy
4th February 2011

The Ultimate Tourist
My name is Jennie and i would just like to inform you that there now is a webpage called http://theultimatetourist.com, where tourists around the world finally can get some use out of all the photos they have, posing by different tourist attractions. Here you can choose from over one hundred attractions and typical touristic activities, upload your photos and collect one tourist point for each photo. Reach different levels and everybody over 80 points will become Ultimate Tourists (Remember you have to be in the photos yourself, to prove you were actually there.. :). So if you want to compete with your photos, or just spread the word, go into theultimatetourist.com Swedes are dominating the top 20-list for the moment. Challenge them!
4th February 2011

we thought about you again as Chicago winter scenes made the news; no problem for you this year!! Always glad to get your posts and super photos.
5th February 2011

sounds like you guys are having a GREAT time! do you miss home at all yet?!!?!!?!
6th February 2011

Elephant Seals
Was that Ricky on the beach...LOL? We are dug out ....thanks for thinking of us, hope all is well with you guys.
12th February 2011

healthy, wealthy and wise
Have been in that area, and must agree it is fantastic scenery,glad to know you are still surviving the travel. Good seeing the two of you. Have fun.Enjoying your photos. Jack

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb