Salton Sea - National Wildlife Refuge


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
January 14th 2011
Published: January 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This was re-fuel day and we were off trailer-less to the only service station in the area (17 miles south). Gasoline and propane tanks were filled and with a couple hours till check-out time, we went to the Sonny Bono National Wildlife Refuge. One section was less than 10 miles away and was in a beautiful location at the edge of the Salton Sea. Although this was the middle of migration season, there were few migratory birds to be seen in the area.

Back to the KOA to pack-up and head up the road about 20 miles to the Salton Sea State Recreation Area. We arrived just in time to get the last full hook-up site available. The camp site was an extension of a large parking around the Visitor Center. It was barely wide enough for the trailer with a picnic table on a sandy 6 foot wide patch which included the hook-ups. I believe this is also the typical arrangement on ocean side State Parks. However we had a place for the night with electricity and water.

I finally got the bike off the truck and rode around the area while Emily and KC walked down to the shoreline. I spotted several Snow Geese, however the find of the day was a large Osprey perched on a tower with a lean and hungry look. It was larger than the Bald Eagles who winter in Rancho Murieta. It was a magnificent sight and from about 25 feet I was able to see the distinctive markings, the power in its folded wings, and its talons keeping it steady. It soon tired of my presence and with a swooping dive soared to the sea in search of prey.

Just after sunset we walked to the shoreline and watched the sky change color. No cameras and little talk, just a few moments of appreciation and inter-contemplation for the experiences we have had today and the previous week.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb