6th October (Goodbye Santa Barbara, hello LA)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
October 7th 2010
Published: October 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

6th October

A card from Jennie and e-mails from Mark and Anthony remind me its my birthday! I reckon this one is 32 hrs long if you count the day as starting in the UK and finishing in California. Pack bags after breakfast and check out. Wander around the shops for a while. Back to hotel to collect bags and arrive station in good time. Train scheduled for 2pm departure. Boarding proves to be very straightforward and although the seats in business class are no more comfortable or spacious than in coach class, there are other benefits in the form of complimentary drinks and snacks. Comfortable journey of approx 2 ½ hrs to Glendale (just before LA Union station) where we are met by David who has kindly come to pick us up thus saving the hassle of negotiating LA’s bus / metro system at rush hour. Smooth and efficient check in to our hotel (Hampton Inn) with the realisation that we are actually spending 6 nights in the same place!!! Somehow seems strange! Also we have had our last (main line / Amtrak) train journey. It has been an enjoyable and impressive experience. The efficiency (on the whole) of the system and the courtesy and good humour of the staff will have left abiding memories.
After sorting ourselves in the holiday room we go to the adjacent hotel block (Embassy suites) where David & Sally + Harriet +Ruth & Paul & Peter + …… are staying and all meet up n one of the rooms. Then to a local eatery for an exceedingly reasonably priced meal.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb