Parklife


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
August 20th 2010
Published: August 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a dose of city life we decided to cut down on our pork lives and get some exercise. So we rolled into Yosemite for a few days camping. Once again we were met with derision from the park staff, who couldn't believe that we'd simply turn up expecting a space for our tent. Little did we realise how much the Yanks love to camp. It was all booked out again, no matter how much we protested that our tent was smaller than a single wheel of most of the park traffic.

We got lucky though and a last minute cancellation meant they could squeeze us into one of the park's camping areas. The guy next to us told us that he'd booked his pitch 6 months earlier. Incredible. Out pitch was on a crazy slope, but it was fine and came complete with a fire pit. Even though the site is slap-bang in the middle of a national park, the good ol' US campers aren't gonna be stopped from toasting a marshmallow or two. You're even allowed to use what you find on the forest floor for firewood. Try that in the Peak District and the nanny state'll have your guts for guy ropes.

Once in, we had loads of fun. The only thing is you're wild camping in a forest where bears roam free. And THEY'RE protected. So it was away with the shotgun and time to load all our food and even our cosmetics into the bear bin, which is a big lockable metal bin that the bears can't get into. We followed orders, not wanting to give the cuddly man-eaters any encouragement. We went on nature walks (bear spotting in the meadow), had drinks around our fire and ate Smores. These are a US camping institution, and are basically snacks made of Hersheys chocolate and open-fire toasted marshmallows, sandwiched between graham crackers, which are like sweet biscuits.

Sequoia was next, which is home to the giant trees. Redwoods I think. It's certainly home to Gerenal Sherman, which is the oldest and largest. It was an amazing place, but we were keen to see Death Valley so pushed on.

This, the thrid in our nature hat-trick, was unlike anywhere I've ever been before. We've never driven through a desert, and it was incredible to navigate somewhere with such desolate and beautiful scenery. Due to
Ranger AndrewRanger AndrewRanger Andrew

He loves nature. We love him
its low altitude, where in places the land's far below sea level, it's blisteringly hot. Every time we crawled out of the Chevy Cobalt I thought my skin would melt. In fact, I'm still amazed that the motor made it. The land is actually a lot more colourful than you'd think; in places it's barren rock but there are patches of every colour of the rainbow. Except green. But I'm not sure green's even in the rainbow, so the cliche still stands.

With it so hot in the valley we didn't fancy camping overnight, so drove through the other side and set our sights on the bright lights of Vegas. But that tale of debauchery, gambling debts and $1 margaritas is up next.

Love you,
Bye!
x


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

A bear! A bear!
A bear!

He's small but he's there. And he could still kill
US steak house, BakersfieldUS steak house, Bakersfield
US steak house, Bakersfield

My beard was coming along, but is a poor effort compared to the hairy dude behind me. Check that!
Burrito!Burrito!
Burrito!

Mexican food in California is AMAZING. Super burritos like this are dirt cheap at the Taquerias that are everywhere, and are incredible


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb