Alcatraz and cable cars


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
March 12th 2010
Published: March 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

12 March 2010 (Roger’s 68th birthday)

In a complete contrast to yesterday it was wet and cold today. However we took our pre-booked ferry and tour around Alcatraz. The bad weather showed us just how bleak a place the island is. It was originally a defensive location to guard the entrance to San Francisco Bay, served as a strict regime prison for hardened criminals between 1933 and 1963 and was subsequently taken over by American Indians protesting over the loss of their tribal lands before it became the popular tourist attraction it is now.

On the way home we stopped at the fascinating cable car museum which is located in the hall containing the driving wheels for the cables which continuously run under the streets. The cars have no power, but get their traction by grabbing the moving cables.

As we were a bit chilled from our time out in thre rain we ate in the hotel. However the food and drink revived us and after dinner we took a couple of cable car trips to Fisherman's Wharf and back. The rides with little traffic were like slow motion roller coasters and were a great end to the day.





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb