the changing weather


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
January 29th 2006
Published: January 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So after Death Valley we drove from Death valley to Bishop through Yosemite National Park which was so pretty because of all the snow but alot of it was closed so no camping there we went on up through Carson City ( capital of Nevada) and as the next thing we wanted to see was Lake Tahoe we spent a few nights in Reno ....BIG mistake on the day we were meant to be leaving there were big winter storm warnings for all the roads out of Reno but as there wasnt alot to do in Reno and we needed to move on we hit the road now for those of u who have driven in snow at home ....that is nothing in comparison to having to drive across the Sierra- Nevada Mountains in it at 25-30 mph. So firstly you werent even allowed on the highway unless u had snow chains on your car ( for a brief moment I thought eh how bad can it be maybe we dont need them ) but after being urged by the chainers we bought some and off we went well thank goodness we got them because it was scary enough with them I guess we would have ended up in the first ditch if we hadnt got them so after hours of driving at 30mph the snow started to clear as we started our descent out of the mountains and then......it started to rain so with snoe chains removed we were drinving along nicely it kinda felt like the drive between Belfast and Coleraine except for all the nice rivers and trees and stuff.
We knew we wanted to get back to the coast asap. so I drive on through Sacramento (Capital of California) and up into Redding were we spent only one night and left early the next moring to drive to redwood National Forest. We had wanted to camp out but the temperatures were below freezing so the lady at the campsite adivsed against it was now we began to realise we prob would not use the tent again awwwhhhh. Neway we drove through the redwood forest which was AMAZING u dint realise how huge those trees are until u are staning looking up at one! One the way back to Eureka (were we stayed for the night) we stopped at trinidad Beach to get some pictures of the sunset the beach was beautiful but as were to find out was only the beginning of the most beautiful streath of coastline I had ever seen.
The next day we set off on Highway 1 (Pacific coast highway) which is a series of roads that wind their way along teh entire coast of California. We drove 400 miles that day the coast was beautiful but i feel I kinda missed out alot because I was driving but i stopped to take some great pics. Neway we made it all the way down to Santa Cruz South of San Fransisco that day I was so tired and fed up but knew it had to be done. So the next day we set off alonh the Big Sur coast and as far as Morro Bay which is a beautiful small laid back town which we would never have experianced if we were on public transport. So that night we treated ourselves and went out for dinner well we set off to do that and ended up going to this little micro brewery which didnt exactly have an extensive menu but I had the best Nachos ive ever tasted and home brewed Black and Tans (it was an experiance!!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

McWay FallsMcWay Falls
McWay Falls

Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb