California Dreaming


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
October 1st 2008
Published: November 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

LA to Vegas, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite and San Fransisco



Los Angeles - Las Vegas - Flagstaff - Grand Canyon/Sequoia - Lake Mead - Death Valley - Onion Valley

First we visited my uncle in Dana Point south of L.A, walked down the beach in Santa Monica, pumped iron down muscle beach and wandered through the boutiques of Beverly Hills. We inevitably of course enjoyed a fun day out in DisneyLand.

Hollywood behind us we drove through the desert to Las Vegas where Christa gambled all our money in Caesars Palace - continued along Route 66 for a bit and then on to Flagstaff. First we did a trip to Sequoia and then we visited the awesome Grand Canyon.

At about 43 degrees and no where to hide from the relentless sunshine we decided Death Valley was not the place to camp so we headed on towards a site in Onion Valley high in the Sierra Nevadas. With our crappy £15 tent we set up camp in the dark with the bears watching us. I slept with one eye open and kept a big stick closeby just incase.

Onion Valley - Yosimite - Big Sur - San Francisco
From now on we always had to watch out for things that go bump in the night. Stuff of nightmares with blood curdling screams being let out on one scary occasion... I took the opportunity to tell Christa stories about tourists going missing while out camping.

Anyway it was a lot of fun especially on the way back past Vegas where we stayed at Lake Mead and got washed by way of a morning swim.

Yosimite was unbelievable, to do all the trails we would have needed weeks so we chose the favourites and slept under the great Half Dome. There were beautiful pine-smelling woods and giant sequoia forrests all around.

Heading west we got to the Pacific again and enjoyed a couple of nights in Big Sur, taking in the beautiful wide vistas and waterfalls that drop straight into the sea.

Finally we headed up to San Francisco where we just checked out Chinatown and took a sunset walk up to the Golden gate bridge. I left Christa in Alcatraz.

Thank you Lawrence and Helen for letting us stay with you in Dana Point, we had a lovely relaxing time!

NB of course I didnt really leave Christa in Alcatraz

They certainly wouldnt take you honey the psycho ward was already full. Christa


Additional photos below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.373s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb