Travel Day-Tuesday


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
July 24th 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

LALALA

I'm not sure, but I think this downtown LA. It was the only high rises I could see on our way out.
We took al taxi ride from the San Diego hotel to the train station. The Pacific Surfliner was on time and we had a business class seat, just so that we were guaranted a seat to LA. Uneventful would describe the entire day. We made our bus connection in LA just fine, this time we didn't have to race through the place. We also didn't go exploring too much. No time or will to. We found where the bus loaded and an Amtrak woman that kept telling us stuff, but I couldn't really understand her. But it was the right bus and we got on the bus and headed out of LA.

Arnold spends all his road money on Northern California roads. The road out of LA to Bakersfield sucked. Full of potholes and such. I suppose it's too busy to ever work on. Soon, they'll just be running on a desert dirt road.

We got to the train leg from Bakersfield to Merced fine. We continued our cribage tournament. I had cut my loses in half, but then Brian went ahead a little. I'm still better off than the start of the day and am in the hole
Amtrak busAmtrak busAmtrak bus

It was a slow day
7 bucks and something instead of 12.

We caught a cab at the Merced train station. The Best Western there was probably the worst room yet. Right by the freeway, noisy and just not very nice. I slept terrible and was awake by 3 or 3:30. Brian had the same trouble and by 4 we were finishing a DVD we'd brought with us and started on the train. It was a little early for the zombies and Will Smith, but it passed the time. The rental car people picked us up at 7:30 and we headed to Yosemite.

What a long day this was. I've been up since 3:30 and now it's 11:15. Tomorrow we head toward Texas across the Mojave Desert via the Grand Canyon. I'll try to get some Yosemite/Sequoia pics up in the morning.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Garden StateGarden State
Garden State

I'm not sure why Jersey is called the Garden State. Alot of California looks like this. Alot of it. Crops in the foreground, hills in the distance. Lots of dry empty space in between.
BakersfieldBakersfield
Bakersfield

Jay thought about doing Americorp in Bakersfield. It didn't look so hot from the train station side. It's originally an oil town. We were there on the train Tuesday and we passed through it by car again Wednesday night about 10. Now we're south of it, so at least we won't have to deal with rush hour traffic.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb