Secret Spots That Make A California Road Trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
May 12th 2021
Published: June 4th 2021
Edit Blog Post

California has long since been one of the prime road trip destinations in the USA. With famous highways such as Route 1 stretching for almost the entirety of the 424,000 square kilometre state, the diverse terrain of California is very easy to navigate by road. This has been especially so during the COVID pandemic restrictions, social distancing and bubbles have been encouraged for holidaymakers looking to drive to hotels in California’svast expanses.
Pair the restrictions with the many road trip vacation ideas during COVIDin California, and the world’s your oyster, in fact, with the Pacific-side fish bars across the state, it truly is! This blog is less focused on shellfish cuisine, however, and more on those unique attractions you might otherwise drive right past. California is so large you’d be forgiven for missing some of these breathtaking sights during a drive. Below are some of the secret spots in California that are well worth a detour.

California Poppy Reserve - Antelope Valley

The vibrant poppy fields in Lancaster’s Antelope Valley is easily reachable via Highway 14 and provides some of the most stunning views in Southern California. Mostly blooming in spring, the trails throughout these beautiful fields have been specifically designed to not disturb these rare wildflowers thriving in the scenic Antelope Valley.

Fort Bragg - Mendocino Coast

In the northernmost regions of Highway 1, the Mendocino coastline holds a historic secret that is often overlooked. Fort Bragg’s Civil War history is enriched by its scenic views and the nearby Glass Beach, an historic glass dumping site. Take a walk along the coast of this state-run beauty spot and you might even catch a glimpse of the seals bathing in the tidal pools of MacKerricher State Park nearby.

Redwood Forest - Arcata

Located on Route 101, the Redwood Forests of Humboldt County overlook the pristine Arcata Bay and are often overlooked by tourists. The area will give you a taste of the true essence of Northern California, with townsfolk and students being the main populace of the town.

Hot Springs Of Travertine

The hot springs of Travertine are located just up from Yosemite National Park, which is a mainstay of the tourist trail in Central California. What tourists often miss out on are the hot springs that bubble up close to Yosemite Lake. these beautiful hot springs are usually open for bathing outside of the pandemic, but they’re still worth visiting if for no other reason than to escape the noise of the cities nearby.

Juan Bautista Mission

For those driving through and looking for the best things to do in Calabasas, Juan Bautista Mission dates back to the 18th century, when the first Spanish settlers began setting up shop in the area. With a recreation of the original building, the Old Mission in the historic town of San Juan Bautista is well worth an afternoon’s exploration for another slice of pre-US American history.

Sierra City - Tahoe National Forest

Sierra City lies within a valley in the North Yuba River and is close to the Tahoe National Forest. Here you’ll find a wealth of small-town California history, including 19th-century architecture and even the remains of a gold mine from the gold rush era. With mountain biking, walking trails and plenty of museums to explore, the Sierra City and Tahoe National Forest offer plenty of exciting tourist attractions that remain off the beaten track for road trippers.

Must Read: Dahabiya Private Nile Cruise & Explore Egypt. 14 Fays & 13 Nights

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline" />

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb