In My Backyard (Yosemite)


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Saved: May 5th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Fooled you? Yosemite National Park is literally in my back yard, less than an hour away by car. I encourage you to visit us, and we will take a short drive up to one of the most magnificent natural wonders in the world. Our friend from Japan is here, and we drove up to YNP today.

Some of the better known sites include: El Capitan, Half Done, Tuolumne Grove, Yosemite Falls, along with great hiking and biking trails, water sports, camping, and just plain sightseeing, which we plan to do. Plus, the Park is great to visit any time of year. In the winter, like right now, I just try to avoid the snow and heavy rain. Snow is expected tomorrow afternoon. Today was sunny, clear, and beautiful.



I cannot remember the very first time I visited YNP. It must have been a day trip by car with my family when I was a young boy. But no matter how many times, or which season, YNP never disappoints. In fact, we have also stayed overnight in or near the park on several occasions. The nearby town of Mariposa offers affordable housing, and interesting meal choices.

The famous Ahwanhee Hotel is perhaps the crown jewel of the National Park system. I have never stayed there, but have dined there numerous times. It is a four diamond hotel that first opened in 1927. It became a National Historic Landmark in 1987. And it is a must visit place in the park, if only to have a meal. The hotel required 5,000 tons of granite, 1,000 tons of steel, and 30,000 feet of timber for its construction.

The Ahwahnee Hotel
<br id="ecxFontBreak" />The most famous event at the Ahwahnee is the seven course Bracebridge Dinner, started in 1927 (also the year Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs). Dinner only tickets will cost $389 per person, including gratuity. Two nights at the Ahwahnee during this dinner start at $897. I forgot to mention a concert is held the evening before, and a professional portrait sitting is included as well. I think I will stay home.

Great view from the Valley lookout

But not to despair, we will drive into the Valley, stop at the iconic Valley lookout, have lunch at the Ahwanhee, and do a bit of exploring, walking, and taking some photos. Better yet, visit us, and we will take YOU to Yosemite!!!! Here is Yosemite's most famous character*, and it is not Ansel Adams or John Muir:

Famous Yosemite story, sounds true: A married couple was vacationing in Yosemite. The wife expressed her concern about camping because of bears and said she would feel more comfortable in a motel. The husband said that he'd like to camp. To calm her concerns, he suggested they talk to the park ranger to see what the likelihood of a bear encounter would be.

The ranger told them, "Well, we haven't seen any grizzlies in this area so far this year, or black bears, for that matter."

The wife shrieked, "There are TWO types of bears out here? How can you tell the difference? Which one is more dangerous?"

The ranger replied, "Well, that's easy -- see, if the bear chases you up a tree and it comes up after you, it's a BLACK bear. If it SHAKES the tree until you fall out, it's a grizzly."

The motel room was quite nice.

In reality, we have seen bears, coyotes, and wolves on several occasions here. Just remember, both Yogi and Boo Boo live at Jellystone, not Yosemite!!!!


Just remember, a day in Yosemite is a hundred times better than a day at work!!!! *yes, that is Yosemite Sam!!!!

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb