Natural Wonders!


Advertisement
Published: October 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Natural Wonders!Natural Wonders!Natural Wonders!

A GIANT Redwood Forest (Mik for scale).
Up as early as we could manage (~6.00 am) and hit the road (~8.00 am) to head north over Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods the first stop of the day. We took the wrong exit (again) and got off early (will get the hang of the system eventually).

Once off the highway the drive to Muir Woods was VERY nice! (with the top down of course) and the trees were SPECTACULAR!

A coffee and a (very) salty pretzel and back on the road . . .

So what do you have for lunch when time is short and you're racing the sun to Yosemite National Park? All you can eat ribs of course! I only managed four ribs as I was trying not to be a glutten, besides I had a long drive still ahead. Actually Kate had a long drive - I had a little nap as I concentrated all my efforts on digestion. . .

Before long (it seemed) we were off the flat country and climbing a very twisty road and eventually into Yosemite National Park. Twenty dollars per vehicle and its top down and rug up - there is a chill in
A Giant Redwood.A Giant Redwood.A Giant Redwood.

My wide angle lense got a workout here!
the air!

Still following highway 120 to reveal one of the most spectacular vistas I have ever seen, it really is amazing! Its a MUST for any visit to the USA, it really made up for missing the Grand Canyon.

We had just planned a quick in and out but we kept stopping to take pictures every twist in the road bought a new perspective that begged to be photographed. We stopped right at the end at the Curry Village camp area for a drink and toilet break before hitting the road in earnest (it was 6.00 pm by this stage) for Fresno.

We took the south exit from the park and found ourselves at least four more times for photo breaks, the sunset on the rocks was awesome.

Down through the twistes again - I really wish that the slow drivers would use the 'turnout' AS DIRECTED! by the signs. It really was the only bad experience with drivers in America, and it was only an annoyance not a bad experience otherwise on the most part they were very patient and courteous towards us no matter how eratically we were driving.

We hit Fresno
Count the rings.Count the rings.Count the rings.

Here I was born, and here I died... (Guess the movie - EASY!)
about 8.00 pm and yet again the trustee discount coupon book came through with the goods. The University Inn (over the road from the UNI strangely enough), cheap but full of dank (man, the dank!) and the toilet leaked.

A pizza and a couple of local beers (did you know that 'malt liquor' just means beer) for dinner at some sort of student hang out before hitting the sack for the last time in the USA..


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Kate inside a tree.Kate inside a tree.
Kate inside a tree.

"These trees are home to many animals...")
BBQ Ribs for lunch.BBQ Ribs for lunch.
BBQ Ribs for lunch.

ALL YOU CAN EAT!!!!
El Capitan.El Capitan.
El Capitan.

A BIG chunk of rock.
The Half Dome.The Half Dome.
The Half Dome.

(I think that it's called 'The Half Dome'???)
End of the Road.End of the Road.
End of the Road.

Good place to stop for a Whizz & A Snack. And to camp for a week also I guess... 8^)
M&K at Yosemite.M&K at Yosemite.
M&K at Yosemite.

Last photo, now we're leaving!
Sunset at Yosemite.Sunset at Yosemite.
Sunset at Yosemite.

OK, this is the last one - it's getting LATE!
The REAL last photo!The REAL last photo!
The REAL last photo!

Now it'REALLY getting DARK!


2nd November 2005

Pigs Ass!!!
How's the diet going BigMiK!!! I hope that is diet ketchup on that double serve of ribs.

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb