Yosemite National Park


Advertisement
Published: August 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Back in CA li for ni ABack in CA li for ni ABack in CA li for ni A

We just can't leave this place!!
This blog is dedicated to the 3 young people who lost their lives at Vernal Falls a couple of weeks before our visit and whose bodies have not yet been found, we hope that their families can find some kind of peace. We understand how it feels to lose a loved one who was simply exploring the beauty of nature.

After another lot of driving we arrived in the beautiful but busy Yosemite; We went to the visitors centre to get camp site information and were told there were only spots left at one; we pulled into a campsite that said full just to try our luck and were just about to leave when Dim asked a guy who had stuff packed up and he was leaving and he had paid for the night and said we didn’t have to – BONUS! We made a really big fire that night; we were at 9000 ft so it got cold, we had some wine and food and turned in for a very cold sleep.

I was feeling a bit pissed off with camping the next day and a fed up in general; we moved down to the valley to find a campsite that would be warmer. We pulled up to one campsite (Camp 4) that allowed walk in bookings and there was a huge queue. After waiting for 2 hours, the attendant came out with tickets with sites she had available and we got lucky again by getting the last ticket. We set up and then headed out for some walking; we went to Lower Yosemite Falls and then attempted to walk through Cooks meadow, but we were both lacking in energy so much so that we turned back to the campsite and slept for a few hours; a combination of altitude, wine and driving had finally taking its toll. When we woke we went for a short walk to Mirror Lake which was a short but nice walk and then we looked around the village in the evening and turned in early for the night.

We woke a lot more refreshed and ready for a more challenging walk; the Mist Trail to 2 huge waterfalls. We met a lovely couple on the bus Cindy and Dean who we chatted to for a while and they gave us their details and offered to put us up if we came to Connecticut. The walk was a challenge but a really beautiful and varied walk; the Vernal and Nevada Falls were huge and probably the biggest we had seen so close up. It took us 4 and ½ hours to complete the 7 mile trail which is pretty good going apparently, but that was no compensation to our legs that were killing by the end of it.

That night we spent time with Kathleen who we were sharing our camp spot with and chatted over a much deserved ice cream. Dim and I then decided to change our plans again; we were supposed to be making our way to Salt Lake City by bus but we still had more we wanted to see around California. We extended the car again for another 2 weeks so we could go to Kings & Sequoia National Park amongst other places, but still had to drive to San Francisco to renew the car – well at least we got a 2 and ½ day break from driving in the beautiful Yosemite; we were glad to see it and that we did the big walk but if we came back it would be out of
Yosemite Upper and Lower Falls..Yosemite Upper and Lower Falls..Yosemite Upper and Lower Falls..

Waterfall overload or what; just you wait!!
season (which I think is impossible) as it was just a bit too crowded for us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Yosemite Lower FallsYosemite Lower Falls
Yosemite Lower Falls

amongst the crowds...
Cooks meadowCooks meadow
Cooks meadow

With views of half dome
View of Yosemite Falls...View of Yosemite Falls...
View of Yosemite Falls...

from Cooks meadow
Start of the big walk..Start of the big walk..
Start of the big walk..

and Dim looks reasonably refreshed.
Vernal Falls..Vernal Falls..
Vernal Falls..

half way up and soaked.
Nevada FallsNevada Falls
Nevada Falls

All water-falled out yet?!!
lunch stop..lunch stop..
lunch stop..

and what a great view we had, beats some of them road side stops we've been having of late.
John Muir Trail..John Muir Trail..
John Muir Trail..

it was slippery on the way down.


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb