Day 2 at Merced River: Vernal Fall Hike


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hikers at the Mist TrailHikers at the Mist TrailHikers at the Mist Trail

(L-R) Pranav, Me, Shreya, Nirav, Ajay on the way to the top of the Vernal Fall
Our whitewater rafting expedition was at the Merced river near Yosemite National Park on Saturday. Hence, we decided to spend the Sunday around that area.

We spent the night at Housekeeping Camp in the Yosemite Valley. This place is generally sold out during summer; however, fortunately, we got a reservation just two days back due to somebody’s cancelation. Housekeeping Camp does not provide any housekeeping despite of its confusing name! It is a place for those who want some camping feeling, but do not want the hassle of setting up tents. Also, this is the only place in the Yosemite valley which allows camp fire! Accommodations at the Housekeeping camp are not heated. You can take your own blankets or rent them from the office for really cheap. However, if you plan to check-in late on Friday or on Saturday, they generally run out of blankets and pillows! So, better carry your own. These tents also have power outlet. So, feel free to take your space heater along.

We reached the Housekeeping camp around 7:30 pm. After initial set up at the tent, Pranav and Ajay left to get some Pizza from the Curry Village Pizzeria while Nirav and
Drenched en route to the Vernal FallDrenched en route to the Vernal FallDrenched en route to the Vernal Fall

This trail climbs up so close from the waterfall that you will get soaked for sure!
I went to Yosemite Valley general store to buy wood and some other miscellaneous stuff.

It was fun having pizza with fire-roasted corn on the cob at the camp fire. Nirav also experimented with some veggie-dogs and crackers with Hershey’s chocolates!

Next morning we woke up around 8:30 am, got ready, and set out for breakfast buffet at the Curry Village Dining Pavilion. Good thing we reached there around 9:55 as they close down at 10 and do not allow entry.

After a nice brunch, we all decided to check out some places we haven’t been before. We zeroed down to Vernal Fall. Vernal fall can only be viewed from a hike or glacier point (which is open during summer only). Vernal fall is accessible through very famous mist trail. Mist trail climbs close enough from the Vernal Falls that people get soaked due to the fall’s mist!

Best way to reach the mist trail is taking a free valley shuttle to the trailheads of Happy Isles. There are a couple of parking lots near happy isles; however, they get full quite early in the morning.

Although Vernal fall is a short hike - 1.5
Yosemite ValleyYosemite ValleyYosemite Valley

Merced river through the valley
miles roundtrip to the Vernal Fall Footbridge and 2.5 miles roundtrip to the top of the Vernal fall, it is quite steep and strenuous! People tend to return after the first view of the Vernal fall available at the footbridge. But, true fun lies past this bridge! Last part of the hike is a stair ledge right besides the Vernal fall. Very likely, you will see a rainbow in this area due to mist of the fall. If you don’t want to get wet, take your rain gear along! This part is really steep, wet, and strenuous. Good thing, there is a railing installed!

Once you reach the top, there is a water pool called Emerald Pool just besides the 317 feet drop. For obvious reasons, it is not allowed to enter this water. You certainly will enjoy the views this place provides! Yosemite valley looks totally different from here. You can see whitewaters of the Merced river rushing through a rocky area. There is trail which goes up to Nevada falls and Half Dome.

After spending 20 minutes on the top, we started to descend. We reached Happy Isles quite quickly this time. It was not so
RainbowRainbowRainbow

Rainbow at the Vernal Fall
tiring either.

This time while returning to San Jose, I took Old Priest Grade road. It is a very steep and narrow road. However, quite a shortcut! Every time from Hwy 120, we see it and think - may be next time we will explore that road. And, I am really glad this time we took it. It saved us 20 minutes easy and was really fun driving! Speed limit is 25 MPH and 15 MPH while turning. The view of valley and surrounding mountains is totally worth it!

To sum up, this trip was dedicated to the Merced river! It was not planned to be so, but we are really glad we could see different moods of the river - gushing whitewaters near Indian Flat campground, calm and mellow water near Briceburg bridge, unruly wild river near Happy Isles, and huge waterfalls of Vernal and Nevada falls.

Some useful links:
Yosemite Valley Hikes
Yosemite Restaurants
Yosemite Accommodations




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Vernal FallVernal Fall
Vernal Fall

Vernal Fall is a 317 feet waterfall of the Merced River
Merced RiverMerced River
Merced River

Merced River at Happy Isles, Yosemite Valley


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb