My Top Five Things Anticipated


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Ventura
June 22nd 2007
Published: June 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Why is it that we restrict these sorts of lists to five or ten things? You'll never hear, "These are my top 17 favorite ways to cook corn." Nor have I ever heard of a "Top 6, 7 or 8." It is always a top 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, etc...Because of this manifold silliness I have, while restricting my list to five points, I have sneakily snuck in probably 17 or so things. Don't tell the authorities. Anyway, without further ado and in no particular order, my top five things anticipated:

1) Taking pictures of cities that have existed longer than America has been a country. Ever since Mission Impossible, or maybe it was one of the Bond movies, either way, ever since this moview I saw Prague in the Czech Republic has haunted my dreams.

2) Touring many a beer spot. Notably; the six surviving trappist monastary/breweries in Belgium, the Hofbrahaus in Germany, the Dublin Literary Pub Crawl. And of course, the crown jewel, the St. James Gate Brewery in Dublin where I will be able to drink unpasturized Guinness at its source. It has been a dream since I was 19. The only way it could be better would be if it were St. Patrick's Day.

3) Buckinghamshire is a county 25 miles outside of London where G.K. Chesterton lived the last few years of his life and is buried, where John Milton lived while finishing Paradise Lost, John Newton was the curator of a church and wrote Amazing Grace, where Mary Shelley, T.S. Eliot, Roald Dahl, William Cowper, R.L. Stevenson, Robert Frost lived, where George Orwell caught pnemonia during a motor bike ride in the rain...it is like the virtual who's who of Brit Lit.

4) Spending our fifth anniversary in Paris...even though its expensive...and they're rude...and they hate us...acutally I am probably excited mostly because Kat is so excited.

5) Visiting the religious historical sites: i.e. the city of Worms in Germany where Luther said, "Here I stand, I can do no other." the city of Geneva, Switzerland where the heart of the theological side of the Reformation lived, John Knox's house in Edinburgh, Scotland, The Metropolitan Tabernacle where Charles Spurgeon preached, Oxford and Cambridge where the Puritans enjoyed life more than any of us Moderns ever could imagine...and so many more.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
˜
Chet

Advertisement



23rd June 2007

ahum
remember to pause and then say eh after a question or giving an opinion (especially in paris). that way they might be thrown off thinking you guys are canadian or something. ;)
23rd June 2007

Canadian accent
or else make sure that we get our train passes stamped eh?:)hahahahha
27th June 2007

Places to consider?
The embarcation point for the Puritans leaving England (was it Plymouth?); Normandy; Berlin...

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb