Out of the Heat in the High Sierras Merrill Campground - Lassen NF


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

June 29, 2013

Got on the road at 7:45 today and it was all ready 82 degrees.

Passed a large prison (Love Lock Prison) and right after it was a highway sign that read:

“Hitch hiking is prohibited”. Wonder why. Haha.

Pass by Reno at 10:15on our left and we just traveled right on by – no desire to head into that sprawling city full of humanity. We miss our little Rabun Co. community, can you tell?

EnteredCaliat10:45. We can tell where we are now, the gas prices just jumped $.51 from the last stop.

Arrived a beautiful campground – Eagle Lake Nat’l Park, 5100’ elevation, lots and lots of trees and best of all, cooler temps. Still in the 80’s, but that’s better than 105 degrees.

The Lassen National Forest lies at the heart of one of the most fascinating areas of California, called the Crossroads. Here the granite of the Sierra Nevada, the lava of the Cascades and the Modoc Plateau, and the sagebrush of the Great Basin meet and blend.

June 30, 2013

Wow, it’s the last day of June all ready! What a fast month.

Last night’s low temp. was 44 degrees – that’s more like it. The whole morning was nice and after we watched our church service on live streaming, we were able to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful Ponderosa Pines, the Mountain chickadees, looking like the Lone Ranger, and we actually saw the Black Chinned Hummingbird. And of course, the chipmunks abound everywhere; and they like potato chips!

After a wonderful morning worshiping the Lord and enjoying His beautiful world, we decided to head to the other side ofEagleLake. We got in the truck and the battery was dead. Will, being a man of many talents, had thought ahead and brought a spare. I might add, he’s got a spare for almost everything on this trip! Lol The battery gets changed and away we go. Got a picture or two, but mostly got some lava rocks and pine cones, nice big ones from the Ponderosa Pines.

We came back to our campsite and after it cooled down, we had our first fire since we left Georgia. It was a wonderful day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



1st July 2013

Nice ambience!
Now that is what camping should look like! Real woodsy, private...and a big, gorgeous lake to boot.
2nd July 2013

Very Nice!
Beautiful campground. Fantastic pictures! Luv those Ponderosa Pines.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb