Bike Ride from Fresno to Santa Cruz!


Advertisement
Published: May 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Laying out the gearLaying out the gearLaying out the gear

Up til 2am making sure we had everything
Wow, what an amazingly challenging adventure we had! This was our first long-distance, multi-day bike adventure and honestly...I think we did pretty well. We put a lot of time in gear preparation since we didn't have a lot of time for physical training. Haha!

Within hours of getting Minnie a bike at Target, we had decided to take this trip from Fresno to Santa Cruz to make it to our friend's 40th birthday party this past Sat. So we researched, gathered, and bought gear for biking, camping, adventuring, and partying! And of course, we had to bring our adventure dog Bella - so she had to have gear too!

We left for our Journey early Monday morning (the 10th), with bikes weighted down and spirits high! It took us a few hours to work out the newbie-kinks: how to ride a weighted bike, too hot, too cold, how to read directions on a windy bike, food, etc. But eventually we got to the end of town and away from traffic. By 2:30pm we had navigated through beautiful vinyards and farmland with brilliant skies, little traffic, and only slightly confusing directions (from google maps' biking option). After our first 30 miles we had a lunch break, which was wonderfully rewarding.

***
Stats from House to Lunch Spot:
Trip Distance: 31.29 mi
Trip Time: 3:23:59
Ave Speed: 9.2 mph
Max Speed: 22.4 mph
***


When we finished lunch and got back on the road, we were suddenly struck with extraordinary winds! At first we thought it was fun, like "wind-riding-training" and took it on with happy spirits. But after a few big trucks helped the wind in swerving us off the road we realized that it was time to walk the bikes for a bit. Not to mention that Minnie's bike was loaded up with Bella's travel cage and front basket, which acted as perfect sails. If only the wind was blowing at our backs it would have been wonderful! Instead those really hindered our biking efficiency the whole trip. (That is the number one thing we learned about our gear - no dog cage or front basket!)

Once we battled through the huge dust clouds from the dried out farm lands - covering our mouth, face and eyes to walk through it...we came to a cross road. West was Firebough, Santa Cruz, and west was the wind. The flags on buildings whipped frantically and the street sign rocked on its hinge threatening to tear off. We giggled at our reality and realized that we would be walking the 6 miles to Firebough and probably making it there in two hours (we walked at 3mph according to the odometer)...definitely short of our first day goal of 80 miles to Los Banos.

Just then a big blue pick-up truck pulled up behind us. A wonderful older man, "Dub", and his granddaughter, CJ offered us a ride. We were hesitant, not because we didn't trust them...but because we REALLY wanted to bike the whole way! We took the offer though, as the wind was really just absurd. When we got in the truck Dub told us that we could thank CJ, because she told him "We HAVE to help them, they may be Angels!" And so they did! What CJ didn't realize is that THEY are the Angels and we are so grateful for their kindness. They drove us all the way to Los Banos and dropped us off at the hotel we planned on staying at the first night. Perfect! Many thanks to our beautiful Angels.

"Be not slack entertaining strangers, where by some have entertained angels" Is what they kept saying.

It was wonderful to shower and sleep in a bed after the first rough, dusty riding day. We knew we'd be camping after that since we'd be out of farmland and into the beautiful rolling hills of Pacheco Pass. Not to mention we treated ourselves to a Large Vegetarian Pizza!

***
Stats from Fresno to Hotel (driven 36 miles to Los Banos):
Trip Distance: 41.41 miles
Trip Time: 4:44:14
Ave Speed: 8.8 mph
Max Speed: 22.4 mph
***


The next morning we decided to find headset walkie talkies. The thing about biking with a partner is that it's difficult to talk to them! Which makes directions, emergency, and natural-beauty, and love communication difficult. So after a couple hours figuring that task out and buying WAY too much water that weighed us down, we hit the road again.

Off in the distance you could see the mountains, and as intimidating as they were they were also exciting. I was eager to get out of the flat-land-wind and into the hills and lakes. It didn't take long before we had to stop and dump a lot of the extra water we had bought - definitely learned a lesson there. At the foot of the first hill we stopped to recharge at the reservoir. Minnie was a little discouraged about climbing the hill, but that's what partners are for - and onward we pushed!

Anytime that we couldn't petal up the hill we just walked. No shame in that! I was so proud of us for getting out there and doing it. At first my mentality was about go-go-go, like a marathon...but I realized that I didn't need to be in a hurry, and certainly didn't need to be leaving Minnie behind at all. So we decided to just go at what pace we needed to, to experience it fully, see beauty, and be together. It was wonderful!

Bella would get to run with us when we felt it was safe. There was a lot more traffic than we were expecting, but whenever we could we would let her run with us. Being a mini-greyhound she LOVES to run, and is pretty fast too. Super loyal, she stays right next to the bikes and we have her on a leash. We DID order her some fancy shoes for the trip, to make sure her little feet wouldn't get cut or burned. Unfortunately, they didn't arrive on time.

Eventually we made it up a few mega hills and cruised along the side of the huge San Louis Lake. The view was amazing. Absolutely beautiful weather, and the wind was mostly gone now that we were in the hills. Very honestly, the road is not too safe - there just isn't a lot of space on the shoulder. Sometimes there was no shoulder at all and we would walk our bikes for a long stretch. There were a lot of big trucks that zipped by, always with a gust of wind to follow it up. We did learn how to surf that gust instead of be steered by it though - then it was nice!

We had high hopes to make it to Casa De Fruita that night, but had a feeling that we weren't going to make it by sunset. Our pace on day two was pretty slow because of the hills. By 6:30pm we knew it was time to start looking for a camp spot, as the sun was already casting shadows behind the first big hills. On the opposite side of the highway, we saw a long grassy hill that looked like an emergency truck-brake hill (but wasn't). We decided to push the bikes up it, climb over another little hill, and have the most beautiful camping spot and view of the entire lake! It was amazing. We were completely safe and hidden off the road, with beautiful scenery.

***
Trip Stats from Fresno to Lake Camp Spot (Night Two):
Trip Distance: 62.78 miles
Trip Time: 7:46:46
Ave Speed: 8.1 mph
Max Speed: 22.4 mph
***


The tent was a quick set up, and as always we work as an efficient team to get things done. Before long we had a shelter from the roaring wind that were strong enough to blow the windmills on the peaks of neighboring hills. And of course we snacked away in our little home. Bella curled up immediately, and we enjoyed the sunset and bright stars. Not the most comfortable sleep as far as fitting on the sleeping mat together, and staying uber warm - but very educational and beautiful.

The sky blossomed with colors at sunrise, painting a picture with the lake below it. We chose to leave one side of the tent with just netting so we could see the scenery all night. And what a scene when we woke up. After some stretching and packing - it was time to set out again. This day would be different for us. No stores to get last minute things, no streets to navigate, just one road, us, and this mega hill that we left the evening prior.

This morning's hill was the biggest so far. We had to stop for some more food, stretching, and pep-talking. It's can be overwhelming when you get to the point of realizing that your body is pushed to the limit, so you have to fuel yourself otherwise. You have to dig into your passion, your will, your determination. You have to realize that you CAN get up this hill. There is NO doubt about it. And go for it.

As it happens, that Hill was the peak and last uphill we'd be taking through Pancheco Pass. Once we finally got up it, crossed a few tiny mounds...then we were rewarded with a tremendous ride down hill. We reached our max speed of the entire ride (35.1 mph) going down this hill, and it was exhilarating. It took us right down to the foot of "Gorilla Mountain" which is a really significant peak that has always pulled us on our drives to Santa Cruz. It was inspirational and kept us moving for the rest of the day.

A few miles after the hill and Gorilla Mountain, we found ourselves at Casa De Fruita - another significant point and re-fueling icon. Our spirits were super high and we got a yummy sandwich for us and a double order of chicken for Bella. After teeth brushin' and face washin' we were on the road again - our goal...the trees before dark!

***
Trip Stats from Fresno to Casa De Fruita:
Trip Distance: 77.82 miles
Trip Time: 9:24:49
Ave Speed: 8.9 mph
Max Speed: 35.1 mph
***


I suppose around that time we were officially out of Pacheco Pass and moving on into farm lands again. Some pretty rolling farmlands with wind again. But after our first day of wind, we could take on anything. We pushed hard to get to Gilroy and restock on water and snacks. It was so rewarding to sit and stretch, drink some water, and buy yummy food for the upcoming night ahead of us. Gilroy sits right at the foot of Madonna Mountain or "Hecker Pass". Minnie was convinced there wasn't too many hills for us to take on going through Hecker Pass, and we dearly wanted the reward of seeing Santa Cruz from the top, then gliding downhill into Watsonville. We love that road.

By the time we reached the trees and beautiful winding road - we were pooped. Just going up little hills was a super challenge on our legs and it was getting chilly and darker. So we scoped out a few of the turn offs and found the perfect spot. With a little off roading we could hide the bikes out of sight and in the woods...then climb down a fun, muddy slope to a river. Next to the river was a beautiful flat spot, exactly the size of our tent. Wow. Truly amazing. So we descended to our hidden wooden, mossy paradise. That was fun, to have to toss the bags down the hill and avoid letting them tumble into the river! Which...we didn't succeed in completely, but my pannier is water resistant - Haha!

***
Trip Stats from Fresno to Madonna Mountain River Camp Spot (Night 3):

Trip Distance: 101.64 miles
Trip Time: 12:05:05
Ave Speed: 8.4 mph
Max Speed: 35.1 mph
***

We crossed the little river and set up, but while we were setting up I spotted a rather large animal poop. Here's where MY fears come in. I have a fear of wild predators that I am working through. This poo had hair and little bones in it - obviously a carnivorous animal. And obviously it comes around here to get water. Luckily, Minnie is not afraid of wild dangerous animals. She will listen to my worries, make sure we are being smart, but then she realizes you have to just dismiss the fear. There's no use in having it. Chances are nothing will happen, and if it does - honestly it would be a really amazing way to "go" and in the least be a really cool story! We balance each other very well in that way.

After we were settled in and eating in the comfort of our little tent, darkness all around...I realized that yes, it's good to let fear
Outrageous Wind!Outrageous Wind!Outrageous Wind!

You can't tell...but the wind is the reason the street sign is tilted like that...
go, but also important that we practice safe camping. The buffet of food covering our tent floor is bound to interest SOME kind of animal, even if it's just one of those overly-aggressive raccoons we've experienced in the past. So I insisted that we tie up our food. Not only would it be safer, it will also allow us to practice a new survival/camping technique! So we did. That was fun and rewarding.

It was actually a wonderfully peaceful sleep. No animals bothered us at all, I know - I was listening. And we also evolved our sleeping situation from the previous night to protect us from cold and uncomfy ground more. Of course we also got to listen to the river all night, which was only about two feet from our tent. Blessings!!!

The next day was our last on the road. We still had a long, challenging ride ahead of us. Unfortunately, we weren't correct about the few-small-hills of Hecker Pass...it was ALL HILL. Totally one big, four mile, winding hill to the top. We walked most of the way, which was great because it was like a rigorous stroll through the redwoods! Sure, also a little unsafe with the cars and little bit of shoulder space on the side of the road. But worth the adventure and beauty.

Eventually we made it to the top of the mountain, feeling glorious! We overlooked Santa Cruz and the Ocean thrilled. Then came our 4 mile downhill cruise on the winding road. Luckily there wasn't many cars and really we were going the speed limit anyway, so it was perfect! Ahhh, so refreshing.

Down into Watsonville, and we were in pretty familiar territory. We could start to smell the Ocean too. About 20 miles from Santa Cruz! The last stretch was nice. We blew up hills, feeling our muscles strong...and walked up others when we felt the need. People waved us on, and one guy even stopped to ask if we were the same people he saw in Pacheco Pass the other day! He was really proud and excited for us. That was cool to experience.

Eventually, we arrived in Santa Cruz. We chose roads we wanted to get the smell of Eucalyptus and see the Ocean. Then we called our birthday friend and told her we were there! All the while we were collecting flowers from the roadside and pressing them in our journals for a present we wanted to make her (which she loved).

The final stats for the entire ride of 4 days and 3 nights...

***
Trip Stats from Fresno to Santa Cruz:
Trip Distance: 129.53 miles
Trip Time: 15:30:55
Ave Speed: 8.4 mph
Max Speed: 35.1 mph
***


What an incredible experience. It doesn't take all the super fancy gear with the $1200 bike to do it. Just some preparation, patience, and determination!

And the birthday party was amazing too!

OH, and we got a ride back to Fresno on the next Monday and are just now feeling like my body is getting normal again! Haha!


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 32


Advertisement



20th May 2010

amazing!
I love you both so much! You girls are amazing and inspirational! It was great having you here! So glad the whole trip was an amazing journey where your learned so much. Looking forward to where you go next.... perhaps yosimite?

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb