Municipal Wharf- Santa Cruz


Advertisement
Published: April 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sea lions on the pierSea lions on the pierSea lions on the pier

These huge creatures were able to launch themselves from the water onto the beams of the pier.
For the weak stomached wanting to take a break from the Boardwalk, another destination is the Santa Cruz Wharf. Here you can see the sea lions and harbour seals that come up to lie on the beams of the pier at the end of the day. The best place to view the sea lions is at the end of the wharf. There are special viewing areas where you can peer down and see the seals relaxing from the last warmth of the day. What I found most amazing is how they actually get their cumbersome bodies onto the beams that are over a metre from sea level. They do this by launching themselves up from the water which is surprisingly nubile for an animal of this size. They lay there oblivious to the excitement they are causing above them.

The harbour seals can weigh a hefty 375lb and grow two metres in length


If you look further out you can see the harbour Seals lying on the rocks of San Lorenzo River, they rest here because their less agile bodies and smaller flippers they are unable to leap onto the crossbeams.
There are placards and signpost dotted about giving information on the marine wildlife here. It is also great to know that lot of the food produced on the wharf comes directly form the surrounding sea.
This was great way to end a day as we spent our last hour in Santa Cruz walking around, not talking but content in each others company.
For those visiting Santa Cruz Boardwalk on limited funds there is still plenty to do. In the summer months live bands perform on the beach every Friday, which is free to watch. Also check out the activities section for more details on skate shops and bike hire.
http://www.travelblog.org/North-America/United-States/California/Santa-Cruz/blog-262094.html



Where to eat


Stagnaro Bros. Seafood Restaurant, 59 Municipal Wharf
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831) 423-2180

This is a family-owned restaurant that situated at the end of a pier. The outside of the restaurant resembles an old steam boat that has become marooned on the pier. Its steam funnels have been a long time out of commission but the lights coming from inside are indicated its inner vibrancy.
We stepped inside after the menu boards outside had tempted us with clam chowder and sour dough bread, something I was told I had to try. The interior décor reflected the boat theme and looked like we had stepped into the bowels of a ship. We were greeted immediately by a smiling Patrick Swayze look-alike and taken to the North end of the upper deck. The main view from the upper deck was gorgeous, looking out to the sea with the sun retreating behind it, looking out you could really believe you were sitting in the top deck of a ship.

Unfortunately Patrick Swayze does not come with the food


The menu was obviously seafood, but not too exotic to alienate us young folk who were starving after a long day’s work at the funfair, with items such as Fisherman’s Stew and Shrimp Cocktail.
Portions were generous enough to let us share starters between two. The only downside was that the restaurant was obviously a popular one among locals and tourists and the wait for our starters was quite long.
An idea when ordering is try to get a mix palate between you all so you can try something new. I ordered the suggested clam chowder and my friend had mixed fried seafood with oysters in lemon juice on the side. I personally have never tried oysters before this and would never like to try again, because I know they are meant to be aphrodisiacs but it left me feeling
Hoping for some osyter healingHoping for some osyter healingHoping for some osyter healing

Wanting to try oysters for their aphrodisiac powers, I ended up with it down my chin and with unpleasant taste in my mouth.
quite sick. My sourdough bread was delicious, perfectly crusty on the outside and warm and doughy inside. The chowder I had ordered in a small bowl was more than filling and glad I had not been so typically British and I shied away from getting my usual fish and chips.






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb