Drive to Palm Springs area


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Santa Clarita
October 25th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

San Gorgonio Pass wind farmSan Gorgonio Pass wind farmSan Gorgonio Pass wind farm

This area is USA's third largest wind farm.
Geo: 34.4134, -118.552

Weather was back to Monterey fog yesterday, and a little chilly. It was almost gloomy when we arrived to play golf at 8am. Black Horse was great although the greens were brutal. On one par three we all hit the green and then three of us four-putted! Despite too many putts I played below handicap, helped by three birdies - the most in one round in ages. And good enough to win the most "skins". We cut short our after-golf drinking time and Robyn and I drove around touristing in the afternoon.

Managed to get a dinner reservation last night at the very popular Monterey Fish House restaurant on Del Monte Ave. Very nice clam chowder and sword fish grilled in Cajun spices.

Google maps says it is about a seven hour drive to the desert. We'll see.

Was a good drive but about 8 hours with stops. It was 97deg when we arrived at about 4:30pm. We passed the largest array of wind generators we had ever seen, including the huge ones in southern Spain. A quick Google search revealed there are over 4,200 turbines in an area of about 70 sq miles - amazing, and a serious eyesore!

Had margaritas and
More generatorsMore generatorsMore generators

Many different models are used. Some never worked and the companies that installed them went broke and the turbines became derelict.
a great Mexican dinner at Pueblo Viejo Grill on Highway 111, then went home to watch sport on TV and fell asleep early. The Giants have convincingly levelled the World Series at two-all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb