"Hearst"-ory of San Simeon


Advertisement
North America » United States » California » San Simeon
August 21st 2008
Published: August 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So, I know in the last blog we said that the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Pigeon Point Lighthouse were next. But, we got ahead of ourselves so those of you looking for fish and lighthouses will have to wait until next time. This time is all about San Simeon and the home of William Randolph Hearst, the publishing (and movie) tycoon. From Solvang we were able to take the 101 and Highway 1, right alon... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

HearstHearst
Hearst

The statue of the Virgin Mary and Jesus in the alcove below the balcony has a light on it. If the light was lit it meant the Hearst was staying at the Castle.
HearstHearst
Hearst

While blurry, this is a photo of the movie theater. They actually show home videos of Hearst and his guests while on the tour. People like Charlie Chaplin, Harpo Marx, and Marion Davies,his mistress, frequented the castle.
HearstHearst
Hearst

The indoor pool, known as the Roman Pool. It is decorated in French mosaic glass tiles. This room alone cost around $40,000 (back in the day, still a Wed. by the way) This was the one room I remembered from my 1st time visiting.
HearstHearst
Hearst

Even the bottom of the pool was amazing. There were mermaids, whales, octopus, etc. mosaiced.
HearstHearst
Hearst

The is the Roman Pool diving platform, 3 meters high, or for the Americans, 10 feet high.
HearstHearst
Hearst

This is where everyone catches the shuttle, can view the IMAX, and purchse your very own Hearst beef!
HearstHearst
Hearst

The ceiling in the guest house. Hearst didn't believe in room service, and didn't like laziness, so don't expect to lie here all day.
HearstHearst
Hearst

Sitting room in the guest house. It was surprisingly dark inside. I guess that the heavy silk damask drapery hung on every wall didn't help.
HearstHearst
Hearst

The gardens in between the guest house and the Casa Grande.
HearstHearst
Hearst

One of the living rooms in the main house, it's bigger than the entire guest house!
HearstHearst
Hearst

The dining room. The funnier and more interesting you were, the closer you got to sit to WR Hearst in the center (Charlie Chaplin always sat next to Hearst, but Harpo Marx was banished to the end). He had stained glass put in up above, but had them taken out again because he thought it was too dark and he liked to see the sky.



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb