Returned to SJC


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Tom and John and BobTom and John and BobTom and John and Bob

At Desert Willows's Firecliff course, first hole.
Geo: 33.515, -117.656

Enjoyed golf at Firecliff yesterday but it was a public resort course which usually means benign rough and wide fairways (can't have the customers losing their balls). Saw jack rabbits and cotton tails, and heard coyotes as the afternoon waned. There's so many golf courses in the desert region, more or less in suburbia, but the designers craft it so you don't see houses or roads, or even hear traffic noise. Very clever.

Drove to SJC today and marvelled again at the desert wind farms. Stopped at the Morongo Casino, an Indian-owned casino hotel in California to have a look around. Then drove via SteinMart at Irvine for a final shop, and had a look at the Irvine Spectrum Centre, a flashy mall and entertainment/ dining precinct.

Collected a couple of toll road charges and was unable to pay these online. Terrible web site. Bob said it would be better to pay in person at a counter, so we duly went along the next day. The clerk tried hard to be helpful but in the end he was defeated by his own company's web site. It required the billing address zip code before accepting a credit card payment, and they didn't
Irvine Spectrum MallIrvine Spectrum MallIrvine Spectrum Mall

21 cinemas in this complex! Note the Palm pruning, very exact.
accept cash. This was the same problem we had encountered at gas stations, but he knew that entering his office's zip code would be accepted. What a system!

Had a nice dinner at home and Bob and Connie's 29 yo daughter, Kelli visited for a while. Saw Kansas give the Giants a 10-0 flogging to level the world series at 3-3. Decider tomorrow in Kansas.

NB: Our fears were confirmed and we got (super) charged again for our toll by Alamo. I contacted them and showed my receipt for paying the toll. Alamo was sympathetic but flicked us to the toll authority to take it up with them. We gave up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb