iSad - RIP Steve Jobs


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Jose
October 9th 2011
Published: October 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

During the 1970's, Steve Jobs traveled to India for a spiritual retreat with a colleague. Because of that experience, Jobs became a Buddhist. In many of Apple's creations, he had incorporated many ideas of Buddhism. He used the idea of simplicity within his products to make them more consumer-friendly and also efficient. Jobs' Buddhist values deeply contributed to his vision. For instance, it greatly affected his work ethnics and way of thinking. Because Jobs focused on discovering oneself and following one's dreams, he revolutionized our technology through his innovations. Under the lead of Jobs', Apple became one of the most influential companies in America. Jobs did not just leave behind iPhone, iPods, or iPads, but his great legacy.

"There’s a phrase in Buddhism, ‘Beginner’s mind.’ It’s wonderful to have a beginner’s mind.” -Steve Jobs

From the quote, I also believe that having a beginner's mind is critical. In particular, Jobs was unafraid to present his ideas, even if others didn't accept them, because he had embraced the beginner's mind. From my previous experience, having a beginner's mind inspires me to be more open to accept new ideas and eager to learn new things. Therefore, I believe a beginner's mind will further my thinking and learning process and also deepen my knowledge about the world around me. Maintaining a beginner's mind-set creates more possibilities and less limits to what one can do in many aspects of life.

Along with browsing through many of his inventions, I realized his technological advancements made a major impact on our economy. Likewise, Apple has constructed a bigger market for technology, and their products are sold across the world today. Even though the US economy is not doing well, Apple's revenue's, on the other hand, still manages to increase with the support of the international market.

While we're studying Buddhism in class, these articles relate how Jobs blended ideas of Buddhism into his own work. In other words, this example shows how religion can play a role in our society: Buddhism shaped Jobs' way of thinking and his creations.

Thank You Steve Jobs!

Reference:
http://www.educopark.com/life-lessons/view/10-golden-lessons-from-steve-jobs

Advertisement



Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb