Days 20-21: If You're Going to San Francisco You're Gonna Meet Some Gentle People There


Advertisement
Published: July 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Days 20-21: Latitude 37.81, Longitude -122.47. Temp 55-90 degrees depending on being in the Bay or on the hill. The song in the title was in my head for the last several days and as we were seeing the sites. Two great days with family in the City by the Bay. On day one we took BART into town and walked up Lombard Street, visited Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 for some crab and other local seafood, rode the Cable Cars, took a boat ride around Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate Bridge. Alec was elated when we spent a few minutes in a classic arcade with old time machines. We wrapped it up with some chocolates from Ghirardelli. The Boat Ride was extremely cool, in both senses of the word, and wet.

The next day we completed our journey. Silver Sally rode down Lombard Street. We then took a walk over the Golden Gate Bridge. Luc, Jeannine, Savannah, and I crossed from the City. Tracey, Alec and Auntie Claudette made sure Silver Sally made it over the bridge safely. The Golden Gate is the most photographed bridge in the world and I made sure that held true as I took over two hundred pictures of the bridge ( I hope some are worth framing). We ventured down into Sausalito for lunch on the water. Next stop, the Redwood Forests of Muir Woods where we were amazed by the 500 year old redwoods soaring above the forest floor. Our journey westward reached its climax as we waded into the Pacific Ocean at Muir Beach. Nearly 5,000 miles of travel from our starting point in Mansfield, MA on June 27. Tracey and I are still in a state of disbelief that we actually completed this epic journey.

We wrapped up the night with some pizza and a few rounds of charades back at Auntie's house. Tomorrow, we have to turn in Silver Sally after three weeks of faithful service. Sure she had her quirks when we picked her up. But she will be missed and we hope that her future drivers treat her well--she certainly earned it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb