Amendment in Passport Policy by U.S. Government – Citizen Renunciation Passport Policy


Advertisement
Published: March 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post



Passport policies keep on changing from time to time in all nations and USA is no different. With increasing global terrorism and anti-social activities, it is very important to make amendments in various government policies so that high end security can be maintained. And passports give permissions to individuals to go to another country without any problems. While some nations require a visa, some just need permits on arrival. So, strict rules have to be implemented regarding passports as it is one of the main documents needed for international travel.

Renouncing citizenship – passport formalities

Many citizens in the U.S make applications for renouncing their citizenship. Previously they had to surrender the passports immediately when they made an application desiring to renounce their citizenship. But the government has changed its policy in this matter and there is some good news for the citizens. Now, people who have applied for renouncement of citizenship in USA can keep their passports with them till the time they are official citizens. Once the application is approved and they lose their citizenship, they cannot use the US passport any longer.

Until late, along with surrendering the passports immediately after making application of renouncement, candidates also had to undergo a “renunciation interview”. The interview would be conducted by an official at any US Embassy. This was direct implication that these candidates could not return to the US in any condition until and unless the whole process of renunciation got completed. It is clearly mentioned under U.S law that no American can travel to the U.S with any other passport, even if they possess one. The policy is said to have taken effect from February 24th 2015.

However, the State Department set out a caution notice that everyone who has applied for the renouncement of citizenship will not be allowed to retain their passport until they lose their citizenship. This privilege would be provided to selected few people who can prove that their need to travel to the USA is mandatory before they obtain the receipt of the Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States. This new rule is still not known to all the US embassies and it will take some time for the embassies to familiarize with the new rules and regulations.

Increasing numbers of citizenship renunciation in USA

Reports have shown that the numbers of applications for citizenship renunciation in USA have increased by quite a bit in the last few months. The change in the rules has come at this time when the numbers of citizenship renunciation applications are increasing. The fees that are charged for the renunciation are also increasing. With more numbers of applications being submitted for the citizenship renunciation, waiting time for renunciation interviews are also increasing. Many people are supporting this initiative by the USA government. As per them, people are mainly applying for the citizenship renunciation as they lack the bond that they should have with their country. Therefore giving up their citizenship is no big deal for these individuals.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb