California Zephyr


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
December 22nd 2012
Published: December 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Amtrak encounters snowAmtrak encounters snowAmtrak encounters snow

One off many station stops. They even wait for smokers to have a fag break.
2 nights and 2.5 days on a train from San Francisco to Chicago. Whilst we had a sleeper compartment, it was smaller than the cells in Alcatraz and by the end of the trip we felt like prisoners as the food was becoming repetitive. We would not however have missed this trip for the world as the views were stunning and so far, it is the most scenic train ride we have ever experienced. We travelled through Northern California, Nevada, where we encountered snow, Utah, Colorado where the snow got deeper, Nebraska, Idaho and Illinois. The terrain changed from plains to forests and mountains with rock formations ranging from sandstone to granite. The canyons and rivers flowing through were equally spectacular since some rivers were partly frozen. The downside of all this snow was that the train was forced to slow to 40 mph instead of 80 mph due to drifts and high winds. We arrived in Chicago 11 hours late and therefore lost an afternoon and evening. Amtrak fed us but it was the same menu and if anyone asks for a recommendation for the Amtrak signature steak, I will not endorse it.

Oh well, only 3 more Amtrak
Lincoln, NebraskaLincoln, NebraskaLincoln, Nebraska

I just had to get off here for a photo. Disappointed they were using a temporary station whilst the original is being refurbished.
journeys left and whilst travelling by rail is the best way to see a country, when it is as big as the US you spend a lot of time sitting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Approaching Aspen, ColoradoApproaching Aspen, Colorado
Approaching Aspen, Colorado

We got great views from our coach and were lucky that the scenic part of the route was during daylight hours.
Canyon country Canyon country
Canyon country

Numerous canyons in Colorado changing colours with differing rock formations.
Fraser RiverFraser River
Fraser River

The partly frozen river and the train negotiating a steep curve. At the start of the canyon the train is a few hundred feet above the river and by the end it is level.
Transport three waysTransport three ways
Transport three ways

On the right the highway, on the left the train and in the middle the river although the only boats on this stretch are white water rafting during spring.


24th December 2012

Looks cold but pretty x

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb