17th May 2012


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The senior Jayes are at last off on their travels again after a long break.

This time we are tackling California and some iconic sites with our friends from the otherside of the world.

We have now allarrived in San Francisco a bit dazed and jet lagged but fine after a night in the Ramada Hotel.

The journey out was very smooth all the connections worked fine. Started at 07:30 am with lift from home to Sandwell and Dudley station (thanks to Ron Jayes), train to Birmingham International Station, Shuttle train to Birmingham Airport, Coach to London Heathrow terminal 5, Plane direct to San Francisco, arriving 17:00 local time, midnight English time.

Vern and Annette Dark met us at the Airport having flown from New Zealand and they arrived in San Francisco 5 minutes before they left!!!

It was strange following the sun round the world via Iceland and Greenland. We had amazing views of icebound stretches of wasteland with nothing but frozen rivers and mountain ranges and just nothing as far as the eye could see for several hours flying time.

The clear skies continued down through Alaska and the Northern Rockies. We had splendid views of Vancouver Island and Victoria where Susan and Simon live.

The clouds built up as we neared San Francisco and the wind was 50 knots as we waltzed down the runway which was interesting as the approach is over the sea very low down and the waves were spectacular!

After a good nights sleep we are ready to explore. I think it is Muir National Park to see some giant redwoods after we have found breakfast. Then back over the Golden Gate Bridge to find our next hotel and plan tomorrow.

Advertisement



19th May 2012

Good to go
Well done sounds like very smooth start to the travels. Love the idea of flying over Iceland and Greenland and seeing all the views. Look forward to seeing pictures of very big trees. All well here, Amy due to visit Gran today (saturday), I'll probably go tomorrow. Oven part arrived yesterday so will have a go at fitting it over the weekend. Keep blogging and happy travelling Lucy

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb