San Fran


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
October 31st 2010
Published: October 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

After hearing such good things about San Fran from everyone and booking the USA hostel as the other two USA ones had been so good it was very exciting to be heading to this city. As we came in on the Greyhound over the Bay Bridge the sun was just setting over the city and you could see Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.

We were staying in a 4 bed dorm and the 4th girl was a girl called Pam from Birkinhead who had just started travelling and she was lovely.

Tue 26th Oct- Pam came with us and we caught the bus to the Golden Gate Bridge on a bright sunny day. It was amazing to see the bridge and we walked to the middle from where we saw dolphins swimming under the bridge. An english guy said to his wife- they swim just like Dolphins, whihc had his wife and us in fits of laughter. We then caught the bridge to Golden Gate Park where we walked around the lake. That evening we had drinks at the hostel with Pam, two girls from Norwich, a group from Gurnsey and some Aussie guys. It was kareoke night at the hostel so Katy was in her element and we then all headed to a bar.

Wed 27th Oct- We looked around union square which wasn't far from the hostel, did a bit of shopping for some warmer clothes and had a Chinese takeway. In the evening we just chilled out.

Thurs 28th Oct- Me and Katy went over on the ferry to Alcatraz as Beth had been before. We caught the old school tram you see on all the movies down to Fishermans Whalf and as the tram was so packed we had to stand on the outside, clinging to the edge trying not to fall off or get hit my a tram going the other way. It was pretty scary especially with the steep hills. Over on Alcatraz we wathced a video about it's history before taking an audi tour around the prison buliding and looking at the great views of the city and the golden gate bridge. It was really intresting if not a little scary. We then met Beth and Pam at Pier 39 and had a late lunch at Bubba Gumps modled on the Forest Gump movies. We then met up with Adam for a drink as he had also moved on to San Fran but was in a different hostel. There had been a big Giants Baseball game the day before and they had won and there was another one today and we saw the fly over of some miltary jets heading to the stadium. The whole of San Fran was out in black and orange and in a good mood it seemed. We had drinks at the hostel again with everyone before joing the hostel bar crawl and as the Giants won everyone was out celebrating.

Everyone was right about what a great city San Fran is and California as a whole has def been my favourite state.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb