San Francisco and sunny!


Advertisement
Published: May 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, it's one week into the trip, and what a week it has been. We are currently staying in a hotel just north of San Francisco, and it's nice and sunny. We travelled down to Spokane the first night, with no problems at the border. That was mostly a driving day, with day 2 including a stop at Dry Falls Washington, which was amazing. We did a small hike up on the rocks and enjoyed lunch with the birds.

We made it to the Oregon Coast the next day, with the weather being very cool and rainy. One thing I have noticed about American signs: appently you are not allowed to use compression brakes. My question is, is that that the same as engine retarder brakes that we have in Canada?

Since that day we've been cruising down the coast, with some nice stops in Cannon Beach Oregon (well worth the stop), and the Dunes recreation area in Oregon (also worth a stop, and I would recommend rolling down them, it's really fun!).

We stayed in a yurt our second night in Oregon (little round cabin with a canvas covering) and stayed up to watch the sun set on the ocean. It hailed like mad during the night. Woke us up several times, so we were very glad to be inside.

After that the weather has improved. We've made it down the California coast the last few days, with many windy roads. The only thing I can say about them is this, if they recommend 15 miles around the turn, you had better do what the sign says.

At the moment we're about to head out to spend some time in San Francisco proper. We missed all of the campsites, so we had to settle for a hotel. I don't think most people would appreciate it if we sent up our tent in their front yard. Oh well.

After this it's looking like we'll go down the coast some more until Anaheim. Till next time.

Advertisement



10th May 2010

You lucky devil
I'm so glad to read that you are having a great time so far. Watching the sun set on the ocean sounds so relaxing. I could do with a scene like that right now.
16th May 2010

Sooooooooooo,soooo jealous...
Hi Orla (and Liam), auntie Fionnula here. I am reading your blog with a mixture of envy and awe. I hope you both have the trip of a lifetime and that it's just the first of many exciting adventures for you. I would love to experience all the sights sounds emotions and tastes of a trip like yours. I am just back from Egypt and am going to Amsterdam in a few weeks so I am having mini adventures in a way... I will continue to follow your progress and experience a vicarious adventure... Best wishes Fionnula

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb