July 26th Clovedale,CA to San Francisco,CA


Advertisement
Published: July 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

July 26th I LEFT MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO

Ok, we had this great idea. We were going to go to San Francisco. We continued to travel down the California Coast. Lori couldn't resist the ocean calling so we pulled off to the side and I took off my shoes and went into the surf. IT WAS COLD!!!! Colder than the Atlantic in the winter time. It is so raw and wild. What a thrill although Phil thought it was crazy!

Our great idea to go to San Francisco continued. We crossed the Golden Gate Bridge-too cool!We found a great RV park right next to Candlestick Park where the San Francisco 49ers play. Only problem was the directions took us thru downtown San Francisco. Bad idea. It was quite hairy! We finally made it to the Candlestick RV Park. They have a shuttle that takes you right downtown so we caught that to go check out the sights.

Let me tell you -San Francisco is COLD!!!!! There were peole there with parkas on. This is the end of July people-it's supposed to be hot! There were tons ofpeople withSan Francisco fleeces and hoodies on. Great marketing. They came unprepared and had to buy something to keep them warm! We bought tickets to take the 6:00 Bay Cruise that takes you out into the bay, under the Golden Gate Bridge and by Alcatraz. While we waited for the cruise we had drinks and an appetizer on the deck of a nearby restaurant at Pier 39 that overlooks the whole bay.

The cruise was awesome.The water is quite angry and looks inbelievably cold. The wind was blowing like crazy. Ge this-we had to divert our trip to go rescue a kite surfer(those crazy guys that are on surfboards that are powered by a big kite). His kite had gone down in the water and he couldn't get it back up. so they pulled our big boat up right next to him and pulled him onboard. He got a free cruise the rest of the way back but I wonder where his car was parked- and he had no shoes on. we were part of a water rescue-pretty exciting! Phil hadajack and coke on board and I had a Bailey's on ice.

We cruised by Alcatraz. What a scarey looking place. We would love to come back some time and take the excursion where you can actually go onto the island and check it out.

Whenwe got back into port we just walked around and checked out the shops and the sea lions. They are hysterical. There are hundrds of them just hanging out on floating docks. Quite lazy creatures it seems. They have the market on chilling out. They do make alot of noise though-barking and crying out like crazy. Everyonce in awhile a big guy would hop up onto a dock and push another one off. King of the Mountain!

We looked aroud a bit more. This place is freezing. We bought a hot chocolate to share. It's July!!!! I thought California was hot. It had to be 40degrees out! We stopped in Joes Crab Shack for a bowl of clam chowder and a drink. We had to walk quite a ways back to catch our shuttle back. Tomorrow we head to Las Vegas. We need towin some money!


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



31st July 2009

green with envy
Oh man Tara gave me the blog to read and I just spent 1 hour catching up...I think I like yellowstone the best so far. I woiuld love to see all the natural wildlife that you guys have seen but the roads look a little scary. All I have done for the last two weeks was to see all you ever wanted to know about Michael Jackson(insert screaming face). Have fun. Mark your memories. Be blessed
1st August 2009

Hey Pam, thanks for checking us out! It has been amazing! We did the Grand Canyon the last 2 days. I think it i sclose in running as my favorite with Glacier National Park and Mt Rainier. We hop eto see you in Charleston soon!

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb