Angel Island


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
November 23rd 2008
Published: April 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Downtown TiburonDowntown TiburonDowntown Tiburon

In the center there is where the Ferry departs from.
It was a clear warm day in the Bay area, and I decided to venture over and check out Angel Island. I took the ferry from Tiburon, which was only USD $11 for a round trip ticket. It is only a mile ride from Tiburon to the docking area on Angel Island, so it is just a 15 minute ride or so.

Angel Island had a military presence in the West Garrison, in the East Garrison, the guns on the West side of the island, and the Nike Missile Station as well. The buildings that remain today largely appear to be circa World War II, housing GIs for up to a week or so while they waited to be shipped out to their duties in the Pacific.

This day we were not permitted to hike above Perimeter road due to the fires that had hit the island the previous month in October. There were still some great views and photo opportunities. Some friends hiked Angel Island more recently (Mar 2009), and were able to hike above Perimeter road to the summit of the island, so I expect that would still be true today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Rooms with a viewRooms with a view
Rooms with a view

I bet these are all very expensive homes, but they look South at Alcatraz, San Francisco, and Angel Island.
Angel IslandAngel Island
Angel Island

Lots of trees and interesting terrain. You can see the docking area for the island just left of center.
Angel Island MarinaAngel Island Marina
Angel Island Marina

With all those available slips, must be that people commute to Angel Island to get to their boat.
Historical Landmark PlaqueHistorical Landmark Plaque
Historical Landmark Plaque

With Crow hopeful for handouts from me. Didn't have anything to share though ...
TramsTrams
Trams

You could take a tram tour of the island as well. Not sure how much it cost, or if it was free, but opted to see the island at walking speed.
Employee ResidenceEmployee Residence
Employee Residence

While the island would severely lack any nightlife, if you need some peace and quiet, this would be an awesome place to unwind for a while.
San Francisco and Twin PeaksSan Francisco and Twin Peaks
San Francisco and Twin Peaks

Looking mostly South, you can see some of the streets that run North/South in San Francisco. You can see the Twin Peaks tower there in the center of the photo.
San Francisco and Bay BridgeSan Francisco and Bay Bridge
San Francisco and Bay Bridge

You can see a blimp there in the center of the photo as well. On very clear days like this one, you must get some great views of the entire Bay area. [url=http://www.airshipventures.com/]Click Here[/url] for information on rates and availability
Golden Gate BridgeGolden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge

With a freighter inbound from the Pacific.
Defending the BayDefending the Bay
Defending the Bay

A former military outpost that housed a couple of guns. Upon closer inspection, the concrete had cracked and separated in several places. I wonder how much of that could be attributed to earthquakes in the area?
Alcatraz in foregroundAlcatraz in foreground
Alcatraz in foreground

That isn't a ship, even though it does look a little bit like it might be one.
Colorado type of landscapeColorado type of landscape
Colorado type of landscape

This was on the South face of the island.
Perimeter RoadPerimeter Road
Perimeter Road

The road has good cover from the trees on the North side of the island, but is pretty barren here on the South side of the island.
Looking to South East tip of the islandLooking to South East tip of the island
Looking to South East tip of the island

There is a coast guard facility there on that far tip of the island.
Yerba Buena and Treasure IslandsYerba Buena and Treasure Islands
Yerba Buena and Treasure Islands

Treasure island is the flat part, and Yerba Buena has the Bay Bridge running through it.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb