Last Leg!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
January 12th 2008
Published: January 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well today we finally hit the last leg of our tour, after driving up the remaining stretch of the Californian coast via Half Moon Bay (and Neil Young’s mega ranch Broken Arrow - he has the largest private herd of wild buffalo that were used in Dances with Wolves for you trivia fans), unfortunately the coast was extremely foggy in parts so you couldn’t really see much most of the time.

We dropped off the car and checked into the Triton c. 1.00 - the good news is…. it’s another Kimpton hotel, the same as Washington, which means very different, boutique style and of course.... free wine at 5.00 pm every day, once again the receptionist had us sussed and spent more time talking about this and the free cookies than the gym facilities!

We then took a wander down to the famous Fisherman’s Wharf for a spot of lunch - extremely yummy fresh clam chowder served in a hollowed out sourdough roll, hmm hmm hmm. After a stroll along the front we caught a tram back (well there was free wine to consider). It’s quite nerve-racking clinging onto the outside standing on a thin step as is hurtles up and down steep inclines, especially when you’ve got to fumble in your purse to find an extra dollar for the conductor!

We descended to the lobby shortly after the magic hour of 5.00 pm for a pre-dinner vino or two and were amazed to find a DJ mixing some pretty cool dance tunes; it’s been a while since we’ve shaken our booties so this got us in the mood so we’ve now planned to go to the famous 1015 Club on Folsom tomorrow night for some dance and trance. It’s supposed to be the coolest club in town and SF is supposed to have the best clubs in the US…so it’s got a reputation to live up to - I’ll let you know!

Tonight we went to North Beach and the Stinking Rose for dinner, it specialises in everything garlic! We started with a bowl of roasted garlic bulbs in olive oil, served with freshly baked focaccia, well it’s best to smell together! Andy then had rabbit with olives stuffed of course with garlic, and I had lamb shank with a Chianti glaze, farva beans (ffff fffff ffffff) spinach and garlic mash, absolutely exquisite and seriously a contender for the Top 3 USA meals!

Oh yes I forgot to mention we also discovered a fabulous Irish bar just round the corner from the hotel… I wonder if it will become our local? Well it has outdoor seats, patio heaters and allows smoking (outside) and has a great jukebox playing some wicked tunes so I think it will be popular!

Song for the day: Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Big Time

Nina & Andy x0x0x


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Nob HillNob Hill
Nob Hill

One for you Adam!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb