Welcome To San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
September 16th 2007
Published: September 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

Well I wasn't going to do one of these things, but I've taken a few photos and I thought it would be nice for other people to see them and what I've been up to....

So:

I arrived last night, and am staying in a nice hostel, I'm in a little annexe of the main building which is a bit quieter and has a cool terrace/viewing platform thing. As you can see I have already made my room my own... Its really central, right next to chinatown, although its not the most salubrious part of town. Although the primary school which is my next door neighbor has strict 'no weapons' policy so thats ok.

Last night I walked down to Union Square which is a big a shopping square with Macy's, Saks, Tiffany, Victorias Secret Amongst others (yes Holly, it has all of them....!) which was ok, then I walked back to my hostel. San Francisco is very hilly, so It was quite a hike, and I went to bed about 8pm, having been up for about 23 Hrs!

Today I woke up fairly early, and had breakfast in the hostel (Bagel with Banana and Peant Butter if you're interested), which brought with it my first 'Lewis in America' moment of the day! They had a Bagel Cutter, a device which is specially designed to cut bagels in two! Any country which invents such a gadget is alright by me. Everyone else didn't seem as excited about this as me, but I know they secretly were. I sacrificed my cool reputation to take a photo of it.

Then I walked throught the city, stopping at Levi's Plaza where Jeans were invented, and along the waterfront to the 'Fishermans Wharf' area which is where you would go to get a boat to Alcatraz and where all of the piers are. It was really lovely, and the weather was nice, and I could see the Golden Gate Bridge, which was less golden than I was expecting, in fact I wasn't entirely sure it was the right bridge at first, and had to check my map. Nonetheless however it is impressive and I could also see Alcatraz as well, which was interesting

I then walked round the edge of the city along the front where all of the piers are, which was great, there was a hilarious touristy pier area which was fun, and lots of other exciting sights, including a place where loads of sealions come to sunbathe. eventually I ended up at the ferry building which is where ferrys leave from, and is now the San Fran equivalent of Borough Market, which was good for a mooch.

I then walked back through the city, taking in Chinatown, which is amazing, really busy, and incredibly different to the rest of the city, full of real chinese markets, and packed with shops selling all sorts of things, its not like anywhere I've ever been before apart from in china really, so that was exciting.

As I was walking through I heard in the distance the sound of a Marching band playing Hymns, which was obviously a bit out of place and unsure as to whether I was in the middle of some wierd dream, I stopped and looked, and there was a Marching band, in fact three of them, all in procession with about 50 limousines, complete with police escort, as part of a funeral processsion! I have no idea who is was, but it was all a bit surreal.

And thats about it really otherwise all is well, the weather is nice, and I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do this evening....will update you tomorrow!





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The Amazing Bagel CutterThe Amazing Bagel Cutter
The Amazing Bagel Cutter

You put the bagel in a little stand thing, and push this gadget down, and is magically slices it in two...saving all the hassle and danger of using one of those sharp knife thingys
Golden GateGolden Gate
Golden Gate

The Golden Gate Bridge
SealionsSealions
Sealions

Very Loud and Smelly....
Pier 29 1/2Pier 29 1/2
Pier 29 1/2

Where Harry Potter visits on his Gap Year.
Police BuggyPolice Buggy
Police Buggy

In these dangerous times it was good to see a strong police presence.


17th September 2007

Sounds like you're having a great time, Lewis. Chinatown is fascinating, isn't it.

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb