I left my heart in San Francisco


Advertisement
Published: August 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lombard RoadLombard RoadLombard Road

This is the short and winding road
...also my jeans, hat, towel, etc,etc.

So back on the Greyhound 'fun' bus and it is off to San Francisco. The city built on the steepest hill ever!!!!! The place is also so cool it has it's own unique weather system. Luckily for me it was sunny for my stay.
Arriving late in the evening i woke to find us going across a bridge. Is it the golden gate i wondered. Turns out it was bay bridge. The other lesser known bridge.

After much need sleep, i strolled down, then up, then down again to Fisherman's Wharf. Along the way i saw the cable cars, walked through china town (home of the fortune cookie) and also San Fran's own version of little Italy.

Down at the docks. I saw some good views of Alcatraz and The real Golden Gate Bridge! Eventually I made it across to alcatraz where thanks to the free audio tour i learnt a lot. The rock was originally a military fort before becoming a prison and then being taken over by Indians (Native Americans) and finally a National Park. The cells there are tiny and it's hard to believe the likes of Al Capone, The Birdman and Sean Connery served time there. I was also slightly surprised to learn that wives and children lived on the island as well. Especially when you hear about some of the riots and escape attempts that happened. (successful and/or not). The island also hosts some awesome views of the frisco skyline and the golden gate bridge.

Now since being in the US i've stood across the road from Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. Stood down the steps from some random stars being filmed. Watched Billy Bob Thornton sing live. This in my first two cities. In Vegas I sadly missed Britney and co. but as it's vegas it doesn't matter. So to keep up my celebrity spotting skills in San Francisco I could have sworn i walked past Boris Johnston. If anyone knows whether he is vacationing in California (San fran) that would be cool to know. Did a double take and didn't have time to yell "oy Borris" after him

Amongst other highlights was watching crabs get dissected (okay that wasn't really a high light), walking down Lambard Street, seeing the sealions at pier 39 and visiting Union Square Shops.

For those of you
San Francisco SkylineSan Francisco SkylineSan Francisco Skyline

The skyline from Alcatraz...and some guys back
who don't know Lombard Street has been named the "Crookiest" in the world. Basically for one block you can zig zag down in your car. The are homes on the side and flower beds in the curves. It's very pretty but i imagine a knightmare if you live there and just want to park your car.

So with the west side conquered i'm over to the east!!!

Advertisement



21st August 2007

Yay! Glad you enjoyed San Fran. Xx

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb