Day 11 - San Francisco


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 11, Monday 5th June 2007 - San Francisco

Fishermans Wharf, Pier 39 and Alcatraz!!!

Today we managed to fit in a visit to Fishermans Wharf which includes pier 39, a boardwalk full of restaurants and great little touristy shops. we also managed to fit in a visit to watch the Sea Lions play and layz in the sun and an afternoon visit to Alcatraz. All that, with a visit to Ghirardellis at the end and dinner at Johnny Rockets to finish off the day!

San Fran is still pretty cold atm - 16 today and only 13 tomorrow, so I'm actually getting a chance to wear my warm clothes! The boardwalk at Pier 39 was great, as were the sea lions, who took up residence in early 1990 after the earthquake of 1989. Mostly they were just layzing about in the sun, but we were entertained a bit by one in particular, who did not want another sea lion on his float. He must have pushed him off at least a dozen times while we were watching, which was funny to watch.

After lunch we headed over to Alcatraz, which must have been a horrible
No thongsNo thongsNo thongs

this just amused me!
place to serve time. It was freezing and so foggy, but as tourists, it was a great place to visit. The tour included a video presentation and a 40 minute self guided audio tour, which included commentary from the prior prison guards and prisoners. Very interesting.

After Alcatraz, we caught the ferry back to the mainland and headed to Ghirardelli's, the local famous chocolate shop. Fantastic sundaes, but I have to admit, mine did me in and I didn't manage to finish it. J&J helped me out a bit!

I love San Fran and can't wait to explore more!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Alcatraz fake headAlcatraz fake head
Alcatraz fake head

an escape attempt was made using fake heads to trick the guards!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb