The delights of San Fransisco!


Advertisement
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So part one of our adventure has almost come to an end, but what an amazing time we've had in San Fransisco! I'll try to keep this fairly short and sweet, especially as the internet cafe we're using keeps losing wifi grrr... Arriving after what felt like the longest journey on the Monday evening, we headed straight to our dorm to try and get some rest - although I think my adrenalin must have been buzzing, as I didn't sleep the entire night....hence my tired face in some of the pics from the next day!

We spent the first part of the trip down by Fisherman's Wharf, admiring Alcatraz from afar, wondering around many of the shops and art galleries on the way to Pier 39. Once we arrived we could completely understand why this place was a 'must' for tourists-every kind of restaurant/cafe you could imagine, crazy shops, views and sealions all at your fingertips! We also saw a fantastic band who had a four-year-old boy as their drummer...absolutely fantastic, he'll definitely get spotted soon I'm sure 😊 Ghirardelli's Square was pretty gorgeous too (not surprising since it used to be a chocolate factory!) The day was finished off by having a classic San Fran dish: Clam Chowder (basically a huge bread roll filled with fishy soup and more bread to dunk in it, as well as crisps)...all for $5 each...not bad!

The next day was spent finding our next hostel and randomly noticing that there was a baseball game on in Oakland for just $2 each, which we thought must be wrong, but we'd give it a go anyway. Well it most certainly was not incorrect and we got straight in, met a crazy lady who worked there and spent ages talking to her about everything baseball related! Eventually her supervisor came in and seeing that we were english folk who had never been to see baseball, he upgraded us to front row seats and gave us free merchandise! Great day out - even if I did get lobster burnt lol.

Other great stuff we got up to this week included going to the local market and managing to get free food from almost every stall (lunch = done), getting harrassed by many of the locals - tramps, general crazy people (funniest one being a lady in a buggy with bulgy eyes trying to run Ben over!), huuuuge cookie dough cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory at Macy's, free beer at the hostel's 'nightclub'...with it's very own 'makeout room' (eurgh!), heading onto Alcatraz and exploring the wonders of this terrifying prison, Golden Gate Bridge, Hop on and Off tourist buses, Crookedest Street, Golden Gate Park where a free comedy day as taking place, watching the Bush Man scare people from behind branches of trees he held in front of him, until tourists walked past that he could jump out and scare them, watching a bit of Dragon Boat Racing, having an amazing Sweet and Sour dish in China Town, watching Ben win not one-but two cuddly toys from the claw machines (all for $1!) Staying in the worst hostel I've ever experienced in Tenderloin (yep, the place we should have avoided) and cooking our own din dins whenever we got the chance, although bagels and pizza got the better of us a couple of times hehe.

Well I hope that didn't bore you all, it's honestly been a crazy week and I can't wait for the next chapter: Las Vegas!

Lots of Love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb