Family Vacation in San Francisco


Advertisement
Published: April 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lunch at Fisherman's WharfLunch at Fisherman's WharfLunch at Fisherman's Wharf

This is the view from the diner that I mentioned.
SAN FRANCISCO!
Our first family vacation that we actually flew with all four of us on a planned trip. My wife, Patty, son Carson (8) and daughter, Carleigh (5) thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our trip. San Francisco is so beautiful with tons to do and see. The weather was ideal during our week. We took this trip in June 2005.

We found our hotel online, Travel Lodge Golden Gate on Lombard street within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf area. We made a great choice. The price was reasonable and the room was fine for our family which didn't spend much time at the hotel anyway. The location was great.

We rented a Ford Explorer because we knew we would drive around the city and to several spots outside the city. We spent $1000 for four round trip tickets from Orlando to SF including the vehicle for the week! I think we got a great deal.

Our first day we checked in the hotel and spent the day walking around the Fisherman's Wharf area. What a great place. We ate lunch at the diner that overlooks the Bay and backs up to Ghiradelli Square. Can't remember the name
Bread at Boudin'sBread at Boudin'sBread at Boudin's

Sourdough to die for...
but the diner is perhaps 1950's style with a Betty Boop statue at the entrance. Great american food, low price, and excellent view! Highly recommended!

Spending time at the Wharf was a big hit with the kids. They loved it. They were so excited to begin with but the Wharf offered the right mix of everything for everyone.

We bought some bread at Boudin's, we laughed as we watched the man who sits on the sidewalk hiding behind a handfull of branches with leaves and scares people as they walk by. If you've been there you know what I'm talking about. I've heard other people talking about him on their trips too. It's hilarious, but I don't see many people that he scares giving him money. Maybe friends and family that see one of their own get scared pay the guy.

On day two, we went to Alcatraz. I had pumped up our kids with stories so they were excited about seeing this infamous prison. It the walking audio tour far exceeded our expectations! Really, really interesting. We met one of the former prisoners that are usually there as guest to sign their book and talk to
Family Pic at Yosemite entranceFamily Pic at Yosemite entranceFamily Pic at Yosemite entrance

Yosemite is a boring 5hr drive from San Francisco, but OH SO WORTH IT!
the visitors.
Again, this tour is highly recommended for kids above the age of 5. They will really enjoy it.

I'll add more about the other days on our trip later. We visited Point Reyes, Napa Valley, Yosemite, the Jelly Belly factory, and Muir Woods.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb