San Francisco Day 1

Published: August 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone, today's entry details our first day in San Francisco and the trip the Alcatraz Island. We rose early once again as we had been advised to book onto the first boat of the day at 8:45 so that the island wouldn't be too crowded whilst we were there. This was good advice as it did indeed become very crowded as we were leaving at 11. The boat trip out across the bay was great as it gave us a chance to look back at the city skyline although the weather here could rival England. It is much colder then we have experienced so far this holiday, struggling to reach above 20 degrees so those of us who had the foresight to pack a jumper have been fine whilst others have quickly bought one. When we arrived on the Island we were greeted by Al 'Scarface' Capone's grand niece who has written a book about her great uncle portraying him as a nice man despite him being a mobster! After a quick talk from her we proceeded up the hill towards the cell blocks. Immediately upon entering the building you can tell that it would have been hell to be sent here. It was cold, the cells were tiny and the view of the city out of the window would have been torture knowing it was so close and yet impossible to get to. The strong currents and freezing temperatures of the water in the Bay mean that it is near impossible to swim from the island to the main land and only 3 prisoners (of the 36) who escaped are unaccounted for but assumed dead as they were seen entering the water.

During the afternoon we headed into central San Fran to Union Square where we split into groups to do a bit of shopping, Fred and I having a lovely time and jumping onto the bus back to the apartment. Dad's group were not so lucky as he decided it would be nice to have a little walk back from the centre of town to our apartment. As both Grandmothers know Dad's little walks are never little and often difficult and this was no different. As I'm sure you are all aware San Fran is very hilly and by the time the rest of them made it back home Fred and I had been back for an hour and a half and on our second cup of tea.

In the evening we went to a very nice restaurant next to our apartment that overlooks the bay, the food was fantastic and as night set in the view became even better.

Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0105s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb