Ship to shore


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco » Alcatraz
January 24th 2011
Published: January 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well we finally made it ashore and for at least a day were still swaying as though we were on board ship! Or maybe that was a bit too much of the pop? We arrived at the Hotel to be TOTALLY blown away by the sheer opulence of the place. It's just amazing and the staff are lovely, not making you feel like a tourist!!! (even though we are!) We now have a room with a wardrobe/dressing room bigger than our Cabin on the ship - you can just imagine the size of the room, I feel like something out of Alice in wonderland after she has drunk the bottle marked "small".
The first day here we did not want to waste any time and scooted off down to China town and had a wander about. It was almost as though we had been transported back to Singapore! I may be bringing some tacky things home yet! After MUCH climbing of hills, encouraged by Nigel who kept reminding me just how much ice cream I had eaten in the last 3 weeks, we came back to the hotel and caught a cab down to Pier 39 to have supper. So many people had told us about clam chowder that it had to be done - well for Nigel anyway! After this we wandered up the shoreline to wave goodbye to the Arcadia as she sailed out again under the Golden Gate bridge. (did I mention Nigel woke me at 5am to see the bridge on the way in? He is like a 6 year old at Christmas when stuff like this happens!) As expected we bumped into a few other P&O escapees who were doing the same thing!

Today (Tuesday) started equally early with a plan to escape to Alcatraz - hold on got that wrong again! However we headed down to the pier again and hopped on a boat to the Rock. Amazing tour and wonderful weather, still wandering about in T shirts with "just in case coats" tied around our waists. Enjoyed some more time down at the pier after that and the compulsory cable car ride followed to get us back up the hill.

We have just had supper in the hotel restaurant (crazy place http://www.tongaroom.com) and I had a bit of a bet going that if I mention it's the last night of our Honeymoon, I should get a freebie. Nigel tried to hide but this was a personal challenge as a certain Mr John Ryan is well known for blagging such stuff even when not true, so I thought, better make the most of it and see if I can live up to the challenge :-) Darn thing backfired on me though - We had a wonderful meal, came to dessert and were so full, could not manage one but nonetheless, two VERY fancy desserts emerged courtesy of the chef!!! HAHA That will teach me to try and better an Irishman!!!

Well tomorrow will bring suitcase weighing and preparing for the flight home so I don't think there will be any more blogs. I hope you have all enjoyed the random musings of the Laceys and sharing in our adventures. Please also be reminded that this IS your postcard as we never got around to buying or sending any! See you all soon,

Love from Edina & Nigel


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb