Home of the "Mighty" Aztecs!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
September 18th 2006
Published: September 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

San Diego gave us some of the excellent Californian weather we were looking for and our hosts certainly gave us some great San Diegan hospitality!

San Diego is a massively spread out place with loads of little neighborhoods with their own different characters. Luckily we kept the car which meant we could see most of them.

We spent the first part of the week staying with James and Cassie in their beautiful house just outside the main city. They very nicely left us snoozing while they went off to busy jobs each day but still managed to find energy to show us the sights each evening. We went to various spots across San Deigo sampling margies, tacos and burritos in Ocean Beach (OB), pizzas in Little Italy and cooked up some massive shrimps on the barbie one night. James would be horrified if we didn't mention to people who may visit San Diego the South Beach Bar and Grill in OB which serves up a mean lobster taco for a couple of bucks!

We also took the opportunity during the week to go on a harbour cruise which was suitably relaxed - you know the form, sun set, gorgeous city and sea views with a Corona in the hand!

On Friday we were picked up by Pete for a full on weekend of birthday partying organised by him and Leslie. We went to La Heina, a beach side bar that afforded great views of Pacific Beach and a constant stream of pitchers of beer. That evening we went into the Old Town, which is a bit like a posh Mexico, where we had more lush Mexican food and then on to Downtown for some pre-emptive birthday drinks in a cool dance bar called Henry's.

The Saturday and Sunday of the weekend can best be described with three words ... brunch, beer and football (not the kind with round balls). Thanks to Pete, Lesley, James and Casey for making the weekend so ace!!!

We started with brunch in a patio bar in OB and a run through of the football rules watching Michigan play. This was followed by the main event - the "mighty" (hmmm) Aztecs - San Diego's college team. First we went tailgating which involves turning up super early at the stadium and having a party in the car park. We are talking deck chairs, gazebos and BBQs! I think these guys have done it before! We finally entered the game about two thirds the way through to find our Mighties taking a bit of a whipping from the evil Utah Utes! Despite fantastic cheer leading, a band and even extra dancers to support them, the Aztecs still only managed a 7 - 37 score. All was not lost as they put on the most amazing fireworks display of our lives including parachuting Elvis's and thousands of rockets.

Sunday's hangover was soon fixed by brunch at Charlie's overlooking Cardiff (a bit different to the one some of you know and love!). This was ideallic with champagne on tap, fruit, lobster omelletes and even the odd dolphin swimming past in the view - I know it's a hard life!

Anyway the adventures ended with a false start at jet skiing thanks to technical difficulties and then a delicious sushi night (prawn heads and all!).

A fantastic time was had by all and on of the best birthdays ever!! We love San Diego ... but we have to head off to Las Vegas for a rest!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



29th September 2006

Exciting game! but it's not REAL rugby is it. Put a tenner on red for me and keep it there until it's 100 or lost :)
2nd October 2006

A rest in Las Vegas. I dont think so.Happy Birthday by the wayxxxxxx

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb