San Diego (to Tijuana, or not?)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
September 26th 2015
Published: September 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The time had finally come to leave Miami and the East Coast and head to the other side of the country and check out the equally warm (but less humid) San Diego. I landed at 10pm and decided to save money and instead of forking out on a cab I would follow the ways of the locals and get the bus. "10:30pm, it should be quite quiet and it's only a mere 2 miles to my hostel so it'll be easy enough", I thought. Well 10:30 is apparently clocking-off time for a load of people in the airport so I squeezed on to the bus with my bags strapped to my back and front, sweating one out feeling like an overworked pack-mule. I perched at the front between a Mexican woman of size, and a Mexican man of size (and sweat and smell). Delightful. Nothing like throwing yourself into an experience. As we wound our way out of the airport I tried to imagine the journey via Google Maps and knew that once we hung a left on Broadway it was just a few stops. Sadly, the bus was so rammed and the driver so exuberant in his NASCAR-style driving that I lost track of where I was. I asked the two women sat next to me - who at the time were speaking in Spanish - and their reply was simply "I don't speak English", and then gave her friend a look which told me she spoke perfect English but just couldn't be bothered. The sizeable gentleman next to me asked where I was going and after I repeated "Front Street" a few times, he seemed to understand and said to get off after we turn and walk along one block. I immediately thought it sounded fishing, knowing the bus stopped exactly on Front Street. Thankfully I caught a glimpse of the street signs and knew I was just two blocks from my stop and managed to pull the cord just in time. As I got off the sizeable man was shouting "not yet, not yet" but rather than turn and explain this was where I wanted (he couldn't understand my accent when I said "Front Street" so I doubted he'd understand my explanation") I decided to just set off on my 0.5 mile walk to the hostel.

I wasn't sure how safe San Diego was for a blatant-tourist with bags-a-plenty to walk around at night but being stubborn I figured it wasn't that late and I'd be fine. It was fine. I dodged a few homeless people, and broke out in to a run (I say run, it was more of a waddle with the bag weighing me down) and finally made it to my hostel; the International Travellers House Adventure Hostel of San Diego situated in the heart of Little Italy. I picked this place due how awesome it looked online. Bright, colourful, quirky, a music room and outside seating and hammocks for people to chill and chat. I immediately picked up an awesome vibe and was pleased.

I awoke early the next day, still on East Coast time, evidently. Got up bright and early and went to breakfast; served outside in one of the courtyard areas; and was pleasantly surprised at what I received. Two slices of toast, two sausages, a boiled egg, and two wholemeal apple muffins fresh from the oven. Anyone that knows me will know I love food. I don't always follow my heart but my stomach, and get hangry if I'm not fed, so this was a delightful start to the day. Back to my dorm to get showered and ready for the day and I got chatting to a cool Northern Irish chick called Lara. She's currently doing a law internship in SD. We ended up deciding to go for a wander to Balboa Park - one of SD's prime attractions.

A 30 minute walk later and we were there, enjoying its desert-like gardens with cactuses (yes, that is the correct plural for cactus in English), and beautiful architecture along El Prado. Several hours later, Lara had ditched her flip-flops in the bin after they snapped, and I had plastered and wrapped my feet after my trainers decided to grate away half of my ankle, and so we decided to head back. A great few hours spent around the park, but I find it such a crying-shame that a beautiful park has so many main roads cutting through it and disturbing the natural peace and tranquility.

I then wandered through Little Italy and the Gaslamp Quarter to get to a pharmacy so I could buy yet more insoles for my Converse. I bought some in Miami as I had worn through the original insoles, $15 later and the ones I bought seemed to be made for hobbits with calloused feet and hurt more than the old. Bought $3 pair which it turns out are an absolute delight, thus proving that just because something is more expensive does not mean it's better! Grabbed a healthy lunch of crisps, hummus and party mix and headed back to hang at the hostel. Chatted with some more folk and relaxed in the garden before chowing down on dinner; oh boy was it good to eat home-cooked food again! Sadly it was mac and cheese so I - the lactose intolerant traveller - was bloated like a puffer fish for hours after, but it was worth it.



Day two in SD and I had breakfast on the front courtyard today and got chatting to two lovely brothers from NYC. One was running a Spartan race later that day so we all got chatting about sport and travel; two of my passions. I then went to the Little Italy market; food stalls, food stalls and food stalls. Think it sounds like any other market in any other city? Think again! Tonnes of local and colourful produce, cute t-shirts and jewellery, and best of all - lots of free samples of California-made foods such as ice creams, flavoured peanut butters, salsa, hummous, vegetable smoothies, and best of all - cheesecake. Heavenly cheesecake. The most incredible cheesecake I have ever eaten. I sampled the cookies and cream cheesecake, coffee bean cheesecake, peanut butter fudge cheesecake and key lime cheesecake and I can honestly say it's THE best stuff I've ever eaten. Vonda Lee's California Cheesecakes in a Cup. Try it and thank me later for the recommendation.

So I'd signed up to go to Tijuana, Mexico with the hostel. I was umming and arring after a few people had warned me to be very careful, but I figured it would be a cool experience. I knew I wasn't drinking, so would stick to water in the bars and nightclub that we were due to hit in the evening. 2:30pm meet in the hostel gardens, so I got there a little early and ended up talking to Matteo - an Italian student studying his PhD. I then walked to the restroom and saw the group I was due to go to Tijuana with and smelled the distinct smell of weed and heard them all talking about getting wasted and wanting to score some more in Mexico. *Helllooooooooo alarm bells* I was already anxious about heading over there but after seeing/smelling/hearing that it freaked me out. Don't get me wrong, I love a good time, but I'm not in to drugs, and definitely not into the idea of getting caught in Tijuana trying to score some. A quick chat with a friend via Facebook and I decided I didn't want to risk my safety of heading to an unknown, potentially less-safe place with a group of people who were stoned and wanting to score more drugs across the border. So I ditched the idea of going to Mexico and stayed chatting with Matteo and soaking up the sun. A decision I don't regret, although churros would have been damn good!

A late afternoon walk to the harbour and wander around the Gaslamp Quarter which I now realise could easily be renamed the Homeless Quarter, and then a slow wander back up to the hostel for dinner and some more chatting with fellow travellers. SD has been so different to Miami; the party place of 21 year olds. There are sights to see, history, culture, and architecture - some of my reasons for travelling in the first place. It's got such a lovely, friendly and relaxed vibe to it that I'd be happy to come back.

My last morning in SD was spent chatting with new friends in the hostel over breakfast; scrambled eggs on toast, watermelon and a chocolate chip pancake. My friend Jim was picking me up at 9:30 for a drive up to his house in Santa Monica; a place that has my heart. We drove via La Jolla Cove which I was happy about as I'd heard it was beautiful with it's sea-made coves, clear blue waters and sea lions. We had a short walk along the cove before deciding to hit the road because traffic seemed to be piling up. 4 hours later and we got to Santa Monica, and went to the park with Toby the dog, before hitting up Chipotle for my first burrito of California. Never tried Chipotle before but was pleasantly surprised. Follow this with an evening of football and it was a good day!

Best of all is that Hannah is coming out to join me on the adventure which means I have a travel buddy for Yosemite - I was worried about hiking alone and the cost of doing it alone, but now I get to share the awesomeness with her. It's also her birthday in 10 days and I know she's wanted to experience Las Vegas (something everyone should do at least once - it's not all gambling and drinking, honestly!), so I've bought us a few nights in a suite along the Strip as her birthday gift. But first, I can't wait to show her the place I consider my home from home; Santa Monica.

In conclusion, San Diego is a beautiful city with a jovial and friendly vibe. There's lots of sights to see and food to be eaten. I'd happily come back here for sure!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb