Day 13 - You Stay Classy San Diego!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
July 24th 2013
Published: July 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Yes the Ron Burgundy moment has come, time to leave San Diego and head back to Vegas. The morning was spent in the pool, as Aidan has made it law to have a go in every pool in the hotels we stay in. The Bayfront has a little separate pool with a tube and slide, so that kept him amused until check-out.

Back on the road again, and thoughts turn to amusing things that we've seen and heard on our trip, most recounted on the blog. One tv programme I omitted to mention was called "God, guns and automobiles" - needless to say this was based in the redneck central area of the US, where one guy who had heart problems was keeping fit on a treadmill walking with his guns around his shoulders to add extra weight - either that or he was in training to hunt and kill something or someone.

Food - generally our rule of thumb has been eat breakfast then eat once more later, mainly because portions vary from the very large to the grotesquely obscene. Is it any wonder the US has an obesity problem, a matter not lost on us when poolside this morning and two teenage boy lumps who had spent only 5 minutes in the water, said to their mother "mom, I'm hunnnnnnnnnnngry", the mother whale didn't tell them to swim 50 lengths to work up an appetite, instead just read the menu (already festooned in her plump fingers) with more vigour than before - priceless!

A plus point for Aidan and Diane are free refills on their soft drinks, a great policy not yet embraced by the Great British culture, but surely it's only a matter of time.

On our drive south a week before you may remember (if you've been kind enough to stay with us on this journey) we'd driven past Shed World, well on our drive north not only brought us the wonder of Patio World but also Patio Cover World 100 miles later. Now call me old fashioned if I'd bought a patio from Patio World and wanted for some bizarre reason to cover it, I wouldn't want to drive another 100 miles to get the best choice - and NO, neither of them looked like they would have a great internet presence, but I may be wrong.

Further north from the Patio consortia, we see signs for Peggy Sue's Diner (that must surely be a thing of beauty I hear you murmur), and as we had a need for more fuel (joy, here we go again) I pulled off the Interstate just before it. Got my gas with as much disruption as previously, then headed in the direction of the diner. Fortunately I found the Interstate north (see instinct at work again), before Peggy Sue's, which is as run down as Brian Harvey on an evening out.

Got the rental car back to Las Vegas airport, thank you Mitsubishi Gallant with the Colorado plates for putting up with me, then took a cab to our final hotel the Monte Carlo (yes I know, Deadly has gone off piste - non Hilton). Checked in and straight to the pool as it was damn hot again even at 6:30pm. Thought was; a couple of hours by the pool, then dinner, then bit of poker and then crash. Well you know what thought did? Apparently the pool closes at 7:00pm, jeez what's up with these people, anybody would think they were keen to get us all in the casinos spending money!! So we left the pool at 7, and I didn't even have time to get a poolside beer goddamit.

Went mad and had a great steak dinner in the hotel with large puddings, then as Diane and Aidan retired to the room, I dear reader went to the casino. An hour later I was forty bucks down but three Budweisers up so not the worlds worst trade off.

Tomorrow we'll spend all day at the pool (hard life I know), then travel home to dear old Blighty...... good times.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb