San Diego Day 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
March 2nd 2011
Published: March 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

San Diego Waterfront San Diego Waterfront San Diego Waterfront

San Diego waterfront from Harbor Island Drive with San Diego and Coronado Bay Bridge in the background.
Wednesday March 2- San Diego
It's hard to believe its Wednesday already. Yesterday drove from El Centro to San Diego and got settled in at my hotel. It's on Hotel Circle which is a great location if you have a vehicle but wouldn't do for someone who flew in as you would have to take a taxi to get anywhere. Always trying to hold down my lodging cost I got a room at the Mission Valley Resort at 875 Hotel Circle South. At $66 including tax a night it is more than I like to spend but it is a nice hotel in a good location so booked for 2 days and will try to find a better rate somewhere else today. To me lodging is merely a place to rest, clean up, eat, and sleep, nothing else. I'm not going to pay extra for something I don't care about. But for someone on vacation as opposed to me who is full time traveling it would do just fine.
Drove down to Harbor Drive and to the aircraft carrier Midway then up Harbor Drive stopping at different places along the way to enjoy the view and relax a bit. Got lots of tourist info and spent several hours last night going over it. Most of it is thinly disguised Ad sheets but some is useful. All they want to talk about is shopping and dining. If that was all I wanted to do I could have just stayed home. There are as good a places to shop and dine in Houston as anywhere else.
Got caught up in the 5PM traffic coming back to the hotel. It is murderous. Today I will make sure to be somewhere nice around that time and drive back after traffic in the evening.
The plan today is to find a Bank Of America and get some Cash. Then go to Cabrillo National Monument on Point Loma which has a great view of San Diego and the ocean. Then go to the Embarcadero and go out in one of those Whale Watching ships to watch the Whales swim by on their way South. About $35. Then take the ferry over to Coronado Island and back. $8.50. Then depending on things go to Balboa Park. Living a life of leisure is hard work.
Added march 4th: I have found out that the #88 bus stops in front of the hotel and will take you to Old Town where you can catch a bus most anywhere. It is $2.50 on way or you can buy a day pass from the driver for $5.00 for unlimited use for a day on most busses and trolleys. $9 for 2 days, $12 for 3 days.



Advertisement



2nd March 2011

WHALES
GLAD TO HEAR YOU have everything under control , whale watching sounds good , we will look for pictures, you have all the time you watch take your time , everything is fine here

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb