Arrival in the states!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
July 22nd 2010
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Well, we’re here! It’s still hard to believe that we are finally here, after two years of planning and saving.

The trip over was pretty uneventful. We flew up to Brisbane on Tuesday morning to spend the day with Craig’s family. We decided to do this because the flight we were getting on the 21st was going from Brisbane, so it was a good opportunity to see Craig’s family one last time before Christmas.

Our flight to LA from Brisbane left at 11am on the 21st and took about twelve and a half hours. We arrived at 7am LA time. We were able to get exit row seats (at a cost), which was fantastic for Craig and his long legs. We were pretty impressed with V Australia, we had individual screens that we could watch movies and TV shows (they had heaps to choose from), play games and music. I’m sure this is pretty standard on most airlines these days, but it’s been a while since Craig and I have been on a big overseas trip so we’d never seen it!

When we arrived in LA we took a bus to Union station, and then a three hour train to San Diego. We arrived in San Diego at about 2pm and had a much needed nap after our travels! Then it was off to Comic Con for preview night.

Comic Con is incredible. The only bit that was open last night was the main convention hall, which was absolutely huge. There were props from the new Harry Potter movie, big Transformer statues, people dressed up…there was just so much to see! Poor Craig had started to get really tired and was just trudging after me as I was zig zagging through all the rows. Craig wanted to do things in sequence, but I would see things that excited me and next thing Craig knew I’d be making a beeline for something that caught my eye.

I didn’t buy much last night, apart from this cute little plush toy Yoda and a True Blood comic book.

San Diego’s beautiful, we really love walking around the Gaslamp Quarter. The hotel we’re staying at is a 5 minute walk from a trolley (tram) stop, and then it’s about 5-10minutes to get into downtown San Diego and the Convention Centre. The hotel looks crappy from the outside, but it’s beautiful inside. We have a huge comfy bed and cable TV (which has remained on ESPN of course), and the buffet breakfast is great! Craig made himself a waffle this morning, and we were able to take bagels, fruit and yoghurt to eat today.

So today is the first day of Comic Con, and we had to line up in a huge line for two hours to get into Ballroom 20, which is where all the TV show panels were. To see the panels that we wanted to see we had to sit through Burn Notice, White Collar and Psych panels, but that was OK. One of the actors in White Collar is Stanley from Sex and the City which was exciting! There was a panel with Mary-Louise Parker from Weeds and David Duchovney from Californication which was great, and then the panel I’d been looking forward to all day - Dexter!! It was fantastic, I love Michael C. Hall!

There was a balcony near where we were waiting in line to go to Ballroom 20, and underneath was where the stars were entering Comic Con. Craig managed to get a photo of Will Ferrel giving autographs before coming in!

Tomorrow is True Blood day, so I’m very excited!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Dexter!Dexter!
Dexter!

From right - Dexter, Deb, Harry and some of the shows producers and writers
Craig with a waitressCraig with a waitress
Craig with a waitress

You can't really see it properly, but her undies say "I love Dick" (we were at a restaurant called Dick's)


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb