Day 46 - San Diego


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
January 19th 2006
Published: February 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We decided the spend the day looking round the downtown area of the city, which was very attractive despite the hoards of homeless and mad people talking to themselves. Had lunch at 'Thai Time', for unsurprisingly, some delicious Thai food. Walked over to the 'historic' Gaslamp Quarter which was ok but nothing special, we expected it would be buzzing and more enjoyable in the evening, but during the day it just looked like a few old buildings. We took a bus to Balboa Park, this was much more impressive, a very large urban park covering a huge area with beautiful spanish style architecture and impressive gardens. We didn't go in any of the dozen or so museums which are in the park, but we did find a recreation of The Globe Theatre! We took the free tram for a quick loop around the area and were entertained by the chatty bus driver who amused us with his tips for gambling in Las Vegas and his love of Robin Hood. That evening we chatted with our other roomie, an old New Yorker who had retired years ago and was now travelling the world on his pension, sometimes staying in countries for months at a time. He gave us some good tips for restaurants in San Francisco.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb